Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:(Just bought a new GL1800, it,s not an easy bike to get on & off,or it might just be me.
Tried a few different ways,but still manage to mark the seat cover with my boots.
Have any of you guys got the same problem. My inside leg is a mere 29 inches.
It's a brand new bike and i don't want to keep scuffing the seat cover.:?

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

I have a 1200 but I can tell youmy wife beats the heck out of the back seat:shock:I too was dragging my boots across my seat and I found that if I stand on the pegs to mount and dismount it helps my boot from scrapping the seat.

hope this helps:action:

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Yup, I put the side stand down and lean the bike over on to it. I then stand on the left rider's riding peg and swing my right leg over the seat. To dismount I just reverse the procedure, after putting the side stand down.

Dusty

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Yup, I put the side stand down and lean the bike over on to it. I then stand on the left rider's riding peg and swing my right leg over the seat. To dismount I just reverse the procedure, after putting the side stand down.

Dusty
That's what I do too but I found to fit though there by shoe/boot through under the backrest and armrest still drags sometimes and scuffs the vinyl so I added a pillion-only low pile sheepskin from somebody popular up in Montana and that was the end of that.
And it even covered the existing scuffs.:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

I just do my best impression of a gymnast and hold my leg while hopping off the bike. My passenger backrest is slowly getting erased...

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

Same problem with my 30" inseam. I'm trying to train myself to get on and off on the high side, that way if I can get my leg up high enough to make it over the high part, I can make it the rest of the way.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I, too, stand on the driver's left footpeg, on both bikes, and heave the old #11 boot over! I have a 30" inseam......

Rudy's got the best suggestion (he usually does......), get a protective cover for your rear seat.......

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

I haven't tried the old western cowboy mount yet. You know, the way Roy and Gene did it. :D

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
imported post

:coollep:I have a 32" inseam and I to will drag a boot on the seat occasionally, found that if I grab my right boot on its way up & over that I can clear the seat, this tech also stretch's your quads too.:Dguess it all depends on how limber you are

:11brown:Winger 82

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I usually run from behind hop over the trunk and yell YEEHAW while mounting. I then smack the tank and say HYAA.

When I wake up I mount by kicking over the driver seat and dismount by either standing on the foot peg or really throwing my leg over. I have had to recover my pass backrest due to damaging it with my boots.

My poor son came by me one day whiel i was dismounting and I knocked him on the floor.
He stood there twiutched his eyes and in his big boy voice said . " ouch Im ok DAD.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

it may take a while to get used and get the flexibility to lift ur leg a higher and higher every time you ride

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
imported post

I have a Utopia backrest on back order. Anyone have suggestions about mount/dismount etiquette once I get it mounted?

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

:shock: William, where do you keep finding these girls for your avatars? I may have to move to Mexico!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
I usually run from behind hop over the trunk and yell YEEHAW while mounting. I then smack the tank and say HYAA.
The third time my proctologist removed the antenna from . . . . let's say my body . . . she told me to quit playing Roy Rogers or remove the antennas first.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::dude::dude::dude::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

:cool:Many thanks guys for your input and ideas. I would have thought that climbing onboard though using the left foot rest whilst still on the side stand would put to much pressure on the stand itself,or at least the small bolt that holds it in place.
I might find a off cut of black leather and shape it to the seat but make it bigger and place it on the stock seat to sit on,and when getting off, that leather cover will protect the seat.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Burkey wrote:
:cool:Many thanks guys for your input and ideas. I would have thought that climbing onboard though using the left foot rest whilst still on the side stand would put to much pressure on the stand itself,or at least the small bolt that holds it in place.
I might find a off cut of black leather and shape it to the seat but make it bigger and place it on the stock seat to sit on,and when getting off, that leather cover will protect the seat.
I'm 6'4" and 300 pounds and have not broken any bolts yet :action:

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

getting off for one of my buddies was a real treat to watch.

He extended fis left foot. Side stepped while lifting his right foot. He didnt swing it over the rear but came straight to the left. Only thing was he didnt clear the seat and a few hops later he dove to the ground.

He had ann accident and my bike is still intact

what skill

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Bear Grass wrote:
I have a Utopia backrest on back order. Anyone have suggestions about mount/dismount etiquette once I get it mounted?
I have one fitted on the 18 and had one on the 15 also and there are two methods open to you as I see it, either leave the back rest up, ( bike on side stand)and from the ground "throw" your right leg through the gap, Kung Foostyle,I have a 32" inseem and can do this just fine, or you can fold the Utopia forward and bending your right leg, "swing" is over, taking care to not kick the passenger seat or back rest area.

It is also possible to mount with the first method if the bike is on the centre stand, but if it is, then standing on the left peg would be easier, with the "swing" method.

I soon got used to adapting for the back rest, a couple of scuffs of the boot on the seat will encourage you to get more athletic!!!:shock::action:

Burkey... I have seen some very large lads mounting by standing on the fot pegs with the bike on the side stand and have never heard of a Wing's sidestand giving out under the weight.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Burkey... I have seen some very large lads mounting by standing on the fot pegs with the bike on the side stand and have never heard of a Wing's sidestand giving out under the weight.
Now Pete I know your not talking about my small frame:cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.