Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

82 1100 asp.changed oil to 15-40 rotella.new fuel filter.new batt.napa added acid put it on slow charge.1.5 amps till charged,started fine.added fuel stable.went to start it.a couple days later flooded it out.put in new plugs.started fine.was watching amp wich comes up slow.stoped at13 volts with new batt.put a load test on about 13.2thought maybe stator went out.put battery on 10.amp battery charger.charged it about a hour.checked with load test back about 14.4 14.6. was that because new battery was not all way charged???or should i check something else...did stable cause the hard starting.never had any problem starting it. pull choke crankes about 4 times and starts right up.going to check it out today and see how it starts....also have done the three yellow stator wires....

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

went out to start it again no start checked plugs no.4 wet put another plug in did not want to start.shot it with starting fluid fired right up.i am in a unheated garage.let it run to warm up noticed it smoked a little .and smelt a little funny.not ant.freeze smell.would too much fuel stabil.cause hard start and light smokeing.going to drain fuel later.and put fresh in and see if that takes of it... or might take it out and ride a little as it is starting to get warm outside.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Run that stabiled gas out of it completely and treat it with seafoam, much better for the engine and won't leave pink gel in the float bowls.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

With 50 years experience storing engines for the winter sleep, I've come to the conclusion that a simple prep is best. I stopped using anything to shove in a carb engine combo for a brief storage on 4-5 months. And the gasoline producers have decided to add so much crap that now I only use street gas available at the pump

On bed time day I run the bike at idle to full temp, then oil and filter change. Never run the engine until I awaken it in spring. Shut the petcock run engine until it dies, restrart at least 3x to get all gas out, keep petcock off...change the oil/filter, pull the plugs squirt 6 squirts of oil in each cylinder, park the bike wheels not touching the cold garage floor, fill gas tank to the gunnels, put gas cap on, never turn on ignition untill spring and if you have to, turm engine over 'till oil light goes off every month. Cover the bike loosely at the back of garage take the battery out, clean it charge it and shove it in the basement in a plastic bucket. Remove charger and ignore for a month then recharge slowky, ignore for another month or so, repeat. In spring examine battery and test then equalize then install.

Day of reviving: Install battery, turn over cold engine no fuel or ignition just oil that was squirted in last fall. Istall plugs, turn on fuel, let sit, have a coffee, roll outside and warn the neighbours. Full choke, hit the starter and watch the smoke.

Usually starts first time, coughs to life and so much smoke the house and hood disapear. Run at idle untill warm, then beat the **** out of it. Run around block 2x listen to everyone tell you your old nike smokes, after it settles down depends how much oil you shoved in it, run the first tank out. Refill with fresh fuel and now the maintenance begins.

I live in the snowbelt of central Ontario -40 ForC isnot unusual. I've done all the rest but this method seems to work with the least amount of fuss. If the winters are very cold, then you will have mice, and other vermin to care for. They ove a bike because it is left aloe and it has all kinds of nook ad cranneys. I stuff rags in places that could present ice problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.