Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my fellow riders! I have been rideing motorcycles for many years this is my second Goldwing but my first trike. I have noticed at low speed when I hit a bump I'm getting some fork wobble just wondering what can cause that and what can I do to stop it.. My bike is the GL1800 2005 with 20,000 miles with a CSC trike.. Thanks for any info you may suggest...

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
fork wobble

This is a very widely discussed topic, with many opinions. It's not just the 1800 trikes that experience this, but the straight up bikes as well. My '04 would do it upon deceleration in the 35-40mph range. I've had customers with new bikes (right from day one) that have had it. You must make sure you have a front tire that's not cupping. I've had excellent success changing the steering stem bearings to the tapered roller style instead of the ball bearings that are original. Some call this "The ALL BALLS" upgrade. If your trike does not have an E_Z Steer type fork kit, now would be the time to consider doing that as well, because the complete front end will be disassembled. It is a time consuming job. I normally charge $350-$400 pp to do the complete job, just to give you an idea of cost. Good luck... I'm sure others will chime in soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks so much for the information 3rdwheelwinger atleast I know where to start. I'm not sure if the bike has the EZ steer or not how might I tell the difference between the stock & the EZ steer front end. I can tell you this if I lived in Saginaw I would be paying you a visit on this issue. Thanks again for your help and anyone else!!!

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Fork Wobble

Thanks for the kind words! First let me say that EZ Steer is a brand name of one of several companies that make re-engineered fork triple trees (the triangular shaped fixtures that hold the fork tubes). A couple of ways I can tell if a bike has them, is first to look at the area where the handlebars attach to the upper bridge (this item is part of the upgrade kit). If the upper bridge is unpainted raw machined aluminum, you most likely have a upgraded front end. These are also the pieces that hold the fork tubes in place. The other way to tell is to look at the distance between the back of the front fender and the front edge of the chin spoiler. If that distance is only 2-3 fingures wide your probably stock. If you can fit your whole fist and then some in between them, the front end has been modified. What the EZ Steer style upgrade does is kick the front tire farther forward much like you used to see on a chopper, but not near that extreme. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
If you don't have the EZ steer by all means install it. It will vastly improve the handling of your trike and requires less effort to turn the handlebars. BTW the kit includes the tapered roller bearings discussed above.

If you have the kit already installed, you should check into a steering head bearing adjustment. On trikes, the preload adjustment spec is tighter than a motorcycle. It's not unusual for them to require adjustment on occasion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well went out to the garage to check the bike, the upper bridge is unpainted aluminum as well as the lower one. But I only have about three inches from the Chin spoiler to the front fender so I'm not sure if it is or isn't..

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Fork Wobble

They make the kits in either 4 or 6 degree. It sounds like you may have the 4 degree.
I agree with Dizzy though. have the steering stem torque checked. I might add that if you have to take the top apart to do that, I'd go the few extra steps to look at the top bearing to see what style you have (ball or roller bearings) If they are the ball type, I'd do the upgrade to tapered roller bearings. If you do upgrade, don't be confused, because the most popular brand of tapered roller bearings is called "All Balls".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.