Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Haven't posted in awhile because I haven't had any problems. But now every once in awhile when I'm shifting up or down the transmission seems to hang up. For example the other day when I was down shifting out of overdrive to 4th the tranny acted like it was in neutral. It also happened today shifting from 3rd to 4th. Has anyone heard of this before? Am I not shifting hard enough? The bike only has 36300 miles on it and I have most of the history on the bike as well (it wasn't ragged out and was older adult owned all of its life) thanks for any input from all of you experts

Jeff

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

I've had this happen occasionally on mine.. Seems to happen to me between 3rd and 4th, and usually after the bike is good and hot. This seems to get better for me after I change the oil and progressively becomes more prevalent as time goes on.

What oil are you using and when was it last changed?

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Same hear with my 1200. Changed the oil and filter and the problem disappeared. Been using Rotela 15w40 and Luberfinder filters. Any filter will do, I happen to stock Luberfinders in my shop.:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

it was also happening to me till i changed the oil

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Yes me too, I figured it might be because of the heel toe shifter and me not giving a hard enough push. It did improve after changing to synthetic

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Bought the bike at 34k and immediately changed the oil I ran the seafoam in this oil for about 1k miles and changed it again at about 35k and now have 36400 on the clock. Could the seafoam have caused this? Oh and I'm running MOTUL 10W40 from cyclegear.

Jeff

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

84GrayWing,

The Sea Foam will just help to remove varnish and sludge deposits.

Nothing in it to cause the erratic gear change operation.

IMO, it would only help it shift better and keep it in the gear it is supposed to be in. Maybe the shift detents are worn?

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

The straight-cut gears do require an authoritative kick to get them transitioned properly. It should never require a downright "smash" to move them, but if you try to finesse it you might find yourself in between gears. If the sea foam thins the oil any that might effect it. I'd check to make sure the clutch is completely disengaging the gears.

I've heard some discouraging words about synthetic oil in this bike. Lubrication additives are right out also from what I understand. The clutch is oiled from the engine oil, so if you make it too "slippery" you'll experience slipping clutch problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.