Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

So I started another thread because the topic has changed a bit. I have everything off to remove forks, springs are out, dust seal off, and clip pulled on right side. I read a post from FeButter about rebuilding the forks while they are still attached. I am not sure how to pull the bottom off. I have yanked pretty hard but I think there is still something holding it on. It slides up and when I slam it down it just stops. I don't want to break, bend or destroy anything so I am wondering what the trick is.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

There should be a bolt in the lower end of the fork. Put a broomstick or something inside the tube to hold it while you turn the bolt.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

No I didn't know about the bolt, that would explain it I hope. I will try after work today and be back for more advice I am sure. Thanks

It just occurred to me if you have to stick a broom handle in the tube to hold a nut while you unscrew the bolt, how do you ever get the nut started for reassembly. I don't want to remove it until I have some idea of how to replace it.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I thought he was only changing the springs and oil seals. Why disassemble the damper rod?
Watch this video to see the amount of force needed to take them apart.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceiKEgsgMG0
Edit
Whoops, I'm wrong, the bolt on the bottom does have to come off first. Sorry. My bad for not reading my manual before opening my mouth.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

cbr , he is taking them apart on the bike . still in the triple clamps . So he has to remove the bolt from the damper rod to remove the lower slider from the upper tube.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Thanks for all the advice. I now have the lower forks off, and ready to put back together with the new bushings, seals etc... It kind of amazes me that there really is very little holding the forks on. I will need to get my pvc pipe set up and see if I can get it all back together now.....I am sure I will be back in the morning.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

Sauceman wrote:
........It kind of amazes me that there really is very little holding the forks on. .....

Yep you pretty much relying on that single bolt to hold it all in place .

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

Sauceman, do yourself a favor and take the forks off the bike. It is MUCH easier to clean them properly if you have them in your hands, and much easier to reassemble them. And they should be well cleaned. I generally use a can or 2 of non-chlorinated brake cleaner on a set, and that's after I've cleaned them good in my parts washer. Also, you need to inspect the tubes for scratches, and polish them or sand with a very fine sandpaper to remove any imperfections you find.

You only need to loosen 6 bolts (on an 1800 anyway, I assume Goldwings are pretty much the same) and the tubes slide out. Getting the tubes out is maybe a 3-5 minute job, and makes life much easier than trying to rebuild them on the bike. You've already dropped the calipers, fender etc. Why on earth would you complicate your life so much by not pulling the forks?

BTW, Honda suggests that you use loctite on the bottom bolts. Torqued properly, they are not coming out, and the loctite makes it very difficult to take them apart next time.

=Dave=
Old Dog Moto Works

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Ok Fork job done. That was a little rough being the first time and all. As always I am a bit nervous but the 40 mile test ride was pretty nice. It is a stiffer ride, but I like the stability in the corners. My front barely dives when I brake. I think I will put a bit more air in the back to even out the ride. I can't wait to do a nice long ride tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Oh ya took the tires off too and had the shop mount them the right way, much quieter that way.

Hey Dandy Dave I might take the forks off next time, I was nervous getting the cinch bolts underneath and had decided to go with forks on. I can tell you I bet setting the bushing is easier with them off. I was a bit confused on the pvc pipe until I realized I hammer the lower fork into pvc instead of opposite. I wasn't rally sure how well I had it seated so I probably hammered a few more times than necessary. Also putting the 4 hose clamps on then off then on again took some time. There is some minor marking right were the bushing seated on one fork, but hopefully it will last. We will see.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

OnaWingandaPrayer wrote:
Sauceman wrote:
........It kind of amazes me that there really is very little holding the forks on. .....

Well it's not so bad being so little.
The bike is pushing down on the forks and that holds them together also, long as your not doing wheelies LOL
As long as the front wheel stays on the ground probably would not even need that bolt other than to keep the oil from leaking out.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Chromo wrote:
OnaWingandaPrayer wrote:
Sauceman wrote:

Well it's not so bad being so little.
 The bike is pushing down on the forks and that holds them together also, long as your not doing wheelies LOL
As long as the front wheel stays on the ground probably would not even need that bolt other than to keep the oil from leaking out.
Agreed Chromo, when I really think about the engineering it is pretty amazing, well for a Chef anyway.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Sauceman wrote:
It just occurred to me if you have to stick a broom handle in the tube to hold a nut while you unscrew the bolt, how do you ever get the nut started for reassembly..
The "nut" is a threaded part of the inner damper rod, so it stays in position with the rod.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.