Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just purchased a new AGM battery for a bike here. I noted that it was different than lead acid batteries I've purchased in the past in two ways.

A) It requires an initial charge
B) It seems sensitive to that charge being over 1.5A

My battery charger is the old, cheap kind with a 10A and 2A switch on the front, and if the meter is to be believed at all, those are really more suggestions than real settings. I know that if you have the charger in the 2A position, you hook a dead battery to it and the meter indicates that 6A is flowing for a period of time. This eventually tapers off. I was concerned as the documentation that came with the battery indicated an initial charge in excess of 1.5A could shorten battery life.

Not wanting to kill my new AGM, I came up with an idea. I wired another battery in parallel.

Using jumper cables, I hooked + of another bike to + of this new battery and - to -. Then I hooked the charger to the "other battery".

Using an ammeter, I checked, and sure enough, 1.25A was flowing into the AGM. An hour later that had tapered to 0.8A. Four hours later, I disconnected it, and all was well.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
imported post

Hi Rusty, when I bought my AGMbattery a couple years ago I just put the Battery Tender on it overnight and then installed it the next day. Been working fine ever since.

·
350 Posts
imported post

Hey guys , my question is why can't I use a harbor freight float charger on an AGM battery ???? harbor freight says not to use on an AGM in their instructions . they don't explain why...

anybody know why ??????:?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

In Laymans terms.... It over heats them and burns them out. In Rusty's example above, as the battery charges it uses less to maintain it. A charger that is auto variable is optimum to use. I had to buy one when I got my battery.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

I corresponded with the Battery Tender people when I purchased my AGM several years ago and they maintain that their product is safe to use on one.

So...........I have. No problems whatever.

T.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

I used a battery tender jr all last winter and so far this winter on a agm battery, havent seen any issues at all....Of course so far this yr bike hasnt sat for more than bout 10 days without being ridden cuz of the unseasonably warm winter we are having...I was able to ride all 12 months this yr!!

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

OOPPSS...I have been using one of those cheap battery chargers on my Westco A.G.M. with the 10, and 2 amp switch for the past 6 years, and over 100.000 miles. Thinking of replacing the battery this year.

gumbyred

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

I got both Battery tender and battery tender jr.
The company says one is for lead acid only and one for AGM only. so google Them to see wich one cause I cant rember off top of head. but I did mark mine for AGM so ill Know

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

My new agm battery came fully charged?

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

I have used a tender for the last year on a Yuassa AGM with no problems. The alternator keeps the battery full and when I park in the garage the tender shows green. It comes on as is needed.
Bobbydsp

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

kt0937 wrote:
My new agm battery came fully charged?
Yup ... the Westco's come fullycharged.

I just put it in my bike 4 years/150,000k ago, started it right upand have never looked back. I have ran it downflat twice, leaving my ignition on in park once and another timefrom playing my radio/mp3 for 12 hrs with the bike turned off (Acc). Didn't seem to have hurt it any.

Ihook up my Battery Tender Plus tomy bike's connction port for a couple of days every month during the winter and have never had any problems in the 4 years.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
imported post

I got mine from BatteryStuff and I believe it came fully charged also.. can't be sure since it has been a while since I bought it. I just put it on the Battery Tender overnight to be sure it got a good start when putting it in service.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

So whats the verdict I have a gel battery and have a Harbor Freight special on it right now .Should I let the battery sit with the tender or wait till the spring till I'm ready to ride? Hate to ruin a new battery???:baffling:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.