Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok, so I decided to take on the problem of a wing headset on the cheap. I decided to modify an existing, easy to find, and inexpensive headset.

I used a set for the chatterbox set. It was $30usd, and is marked "For stereo units only". It's output is a 6 pin mini-DIN male plug, just like the end of your keyboard cable. Along with the headset, you will need 1 female socket 6 pin miniDIN connector, and one 5 pin female DIN socket. The connections used on the goldwing are the same as MIDI connectors, which are easy to find at your local electronics store. You will also need a 6 foot (2 meter) MIDI cable. Coiled is best, but straight will work.

Looking at the male plug on the headset, this is the pin-out:

From there, it is easy to use the two DIN connectors to create a adapter dongle. This is the dongle pin-out:

Mini-Din Wing-side:

2 4

3 3

4 x

5 2

After soldering everything together, I slid the dongle into the strain releif for some odd audio cable I had laying around, and then wraped the whole thing in lots of electrical tape. The chatterbox headset came with 2 clips to hold the wires, and I put one on each side of the dongle to hold it in place.

Of note: The speakers work just fine, but the microphone is incompatable. I am going to work on a phantom-power system to make the condenser mice work with the system.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sounds good, I've been rat-holing a few parts to make up a helmet headset also. Using a couple small speakers and mike I had from an old headset. I mocked them up and they seem to work so nowneed to get to work molding a fiberglass mount and fairing for the helmet mike. I've got a David Clark aviationheadset might think about using the mike from that, it's got a real nice stainless steel adjustable mike arm. Got sidetracked with a brake job and a problem with oil leaks in the rear shocks so that will slow me down for a few days.

:waving::15red::crying:

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Here is an actual photo from the tips page with the pins at both ends labelled.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

The mike from a Radio Shack mike will work with an 85 aspy type III You could epoxy the mike part onto a piece of flexi steel wand (if you can find it) and put on a wind sock on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.