Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
24,404 Posts
But when does temperature measurement need to be that accurate? And there are decimals if it does.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,026 Posts
I have not used SAE wrenches on metric nuts and bolts since I was a kid. I don't think any serious mechanic would either. 46 years working on aircraft has made me in tolerant of damaged parts.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Funny. This thread has two topics interwoven.

One is about "rounding off" when it comes to measuring temperature.

The other is "rounding off' nuts and bolts by using the wrong sized wrench for the job.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Speaking of rounding off, I use a 14mm for rust undersized exhaust manifold bolts that where 9/16".

Same with 12mm on 1/2" exhaust bolts.
Just drive on an impact socket, and remake the hex to fit the socket, you are gonna replace bolts anyway.
Metrics used to be a nuisance when we started to convert. Once everyone got the right tools and knew what sizes to expect, then working with them became second nature.

The swing in the thermostat setting is known a "differential" by the manufacturers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You can use 7/16 for 11mm, 1/2" for 13mm 9/16 for 14mm and several others but for 9, 15, 17, 18 & some others you have to have the metric wrench. What I don't get how it happened is almost all spark plugs are SAE wrench size but metric thread. And most tires are inch size rims but metric profile.
I hope my memory is still in tact on this info.

Back when US was to convert to metrics the US population put up a big fuss thus pushing back the conversion date. As time marched on the manufactures just went ahead and installed SAE and Metric on the same vehicle. Their thought was the US population will become comfortable to the new Metric size through use. But still to this day, 40+ years later, that has not happened for we are still fussing over what size this and that is, what can be used in place of and what almost fits. :frown2:

On average, it takes more than 2 months before a new behavior becomes automatic, to be more exact 66 days.

Since we only use a metric wrench on our Goldwings a mere few minutes per year, said 66 days will stretch easily to 66 (or more :shock2:) years.

·
Administrator
24,404 Posts
Back when US was to convert to metrics the US population put up a big fuss thus pushing back the conversion date. As time marched on the manufactures just went ahead and installed SAE and Metric on the same vehicle. Their thought was the US population will become comfortable to the new Metric size through use. But still to this day, 40+ years later, that has not happened for we are still fussing over what size this and that is, what can be used in place of and what almost fits. :frown2:
I think they converted to metric what they ran out of SAE bolts for. Meanwhile us folks using those tools had to buy 2 sets. And it's not just nuts & bolts, all the measuring systems we in the US use are difficult. Metrics are so much easier, everything is in 10s.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I hope my memory is still in tact on this info.

On average, it takes more than 2 months before a new behavior becomes automatic, to be more exact 66 days.

Since we only use a metric wrench on our Goldwings a mere few minutes per year, said 66 days will stretch easily to 66 (or more :shock2:) years.
It takes me four hours just to do the air filter. But then again I dont do anything for months after that

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)

·
Administrator
24,404 Posts
Changing to metric is difficult but imagine what is like to change your driving side from left to right overnight ,as it was done in a few countries.
]
I bet that has caused some problems. I can't imagine driving on the left.

·
Registered
397 Posts
3/4 & 19mm are the same, I have a snap on socket with both numbers on it.
I must have that same set of Snap-On impact sockets. The 3/4 also has 19mm and the 7/8 has 22mm. I would bet some 5/8 has 16mm but my set is a mixture of old and new (now that I think about it, old and really old is more like it) and that one was an older one.

·
Registered
397 Posts
What I don't get how it happened is almost all spark plugs are SAE wrench size but metric thread. And most tires are inch size rims but metric profile.
Probably for the same reason that the US military uses Boxer primed ammunition invented by a Brit, while the British used Berdan primed ammo invented by an American. :nerd:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts