Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought this bike and am not familar with Goldwings, It runs, but not great. Very hard to start, Will not start with out throttle being half opened then takes 5 or 6 trys. Then it will not stay runninng unless i keep the revs up about 3000, it runs ok if i keep it above 3000 if i dont it coughs, pops, and boggs. Also the temp gauge seems to be out of whack, it bounces all over the place. I just replaced the thermost yesterday, when i got the housing off much to my surprise the therm was cut in half . This morning when i went to ride it, the gauge stayed cold for about 10 min then pegged to hot instantly.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!

THANK YOUEVERYONE IN ADVANCE!!!

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

The hard starting and poor low speed performance are probably carb related. The stock carbs have small orifices in them and can gum up if it sat for a period of time (and it likely did). You can try adding Seafoam to the gas tank and running it through (maybe a couple of tanks). It will certainly help but it isn't the same as a cleaning/rebuild. If the tank is rusted there is really no use rebuilding and running the carbs until that is addressed. Junk will work its way past the filter into nice fresh carbs.

The temp gauge runs on 7 volts. There is a small unit that provides the 7 volt power. Sometimes the connections on the back of the gauge are corroded and can cause weird behavior (my 1000 is a '78 with the gauge on the shelter so I'm not sure about the '76). The gauges themselves don't usually go bad unless the 7 volt power supply fails and the gauge gets hit with 12 volts.

If you do not know absolutely for sure when the timing belts were changed and how many miles they have on them then change them right now. This is an interference engine and if a belt breaks you will bend at least one valve. There are cross-over numbers for NAPA and Gates belts.
Randakks.com has a ton of information about these old wings including bringing one back to life after it has been sitting.

http://www.ngwclub.comis 4 cylinder wing site and has a lot of info including a cross-reference parts list.

They are very nice bikes once you get them sorted out. That's part of the fun (and the bike is 35 years old).

http://www.randakks.com/TechTip41.htmis the tech tip about the 7 volt regulator.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

I had a 76 and after I got it sorted it was a fantastic ride. I'm starting to regret getting rid of it for my 1100 Interstate. Thinking about trading someone for a gl1000 or taking the front end down to nekkid.
Anyway, stick with it, it's easy to work on and you won't regret it

Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.