Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi, i have a 78 gl 1000, had been standing for several months. replaced battery, bike turns over as usual, but not starting, plugs look clean. some suggested because fuel is unleaded it can clog up carbies. am not mechanically minded. can anyone assist. thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

First off Welcome to this great site! When you get the chance please put your location in your profile so others may know where your from. Plus someone might live right around the corner who can help you out.

Stupid question but is the fuel on? :baffled:

Best of Luck, Ray

:waving:

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

You need to determine if it is getting fuel in the carbs and if there is spark at the plugs. Unleaded will not gum up the carbs any worse and maybe less than leaded gas but being left to sit in the carbs either will do it. If you loosen the drain screws in the bottom of the carbs fuel should drain out. If not then begin to find out why.

Also check the kill switch. Is it on? That got me good a while back.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

not a stupid question and thanks for the response. yes the fule was on whilst doing the checking and tinkering. ty.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

Same problem with my 78 Wing. I have learned to start it after it has sat for a whilewith FULL choke andNO throttle. Crank it and you will slowly get one cylinder to start firing and then a second cylinder etc. It may take a few minutes to get it running smoothly. Don't crank for too long. It should fire and run by itself within a minute.

This is assuming you have followed the previous suggestions in this thread re. fuel and spark.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Spark, fuel, air/compression..need to start.1st open the air box and make sure something hasn't built a nest in there blocking the air flow(mice) if clean, try to start it with plugs in then pull plugs check to see if they are wet..with gas..if trying to start and no go they should be covered with gas..if they are turn off petcock then reinsert plugs into plug caps turn over engine in a dark garage..look for spark..keep plugs on the engine block while you do this..and cover spark plug holes to avoid gas vapor igniting.

Check valves make sure they are set correctly .04 and .05

Note don't turn the start for to long at one time 10 sec max, 5 is better!! let it rest/cool down between tries.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

RB on the 1000 intake and exhaust are .04 It changed to .04 and .05 for the 1100.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I would pull the air filter off and use some starting fluid. Many times if you get it running on starting fluid it'll suck the old gas through the carbs.

Q

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.