Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, all,

I was riding in heavy traffic last night, and as I was moving the clutch lever in and out to maintain speed, suddenly the clutch lever went all the way to the handle (no return), and no more forward drive.

I thought it was a broken clutch cable, but usually when a clutch cable breaks, the clutch remains engaged. It was acting as if the clutch lever was being held in. (rev engine, no go.)

I haven't had the chance to check it out myself, but my local Honda wrench said that the cable appeared to be moving at the clutch end.

Two questions: 1. Has anyone here ever seen a catastrophic clutch failure on a GL 1000?

2. The initial estimate for replacing the clutch was 14(!) shop hours. Am I being had? I won't know for sure if it is a clutch failure until next week, the dealer's Goldwing "expert" is on vacation....:(

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

--Bob

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Hello there Bob and welcome to the forum. I wouldn't go to a Honda dealer for this. The GL1000 is a straightforward bike to do a clutch on and I would think it would be cheaper to get a non-dealer shop to do the job. 10 hours would be generous for this job, especially for a Goldwing "expert".

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi, Jason,

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking for a good non-dealer shop, but I haven't been able to find one yet. (Hard to believe in a city the size of Nashville, but there you go...)

If anyone out there has knowledge of Middle Tennessee and can make a recommendation, I'd really appreciate it!:stumped:

Also, to re-ask the first question: Has anyone seen a sudden 1100 clutch failure? (no bangs, grinds, unpleasant noises, just a pop like a clutch cable breaking, then no go)

Thanks,

--Bob

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Bob :waving:. I've seen this happen on a GL1100. Turned out that the lifter plate had cracked and the clutch lever was loose and floppy.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

Bob,

Welcome!!:byebye:

Sound like it might be the clutch lifter plate. I had a customer up here that had the same problem. One of the tines on the lifter plate broke & jammed.

14 hours is ridiculous!!!! :bash:

Pick up a Clymer or Honda shop manual. It's not than bad if you have a place to do it.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

HI Bob,

This happened to me as well. I was able to take the clutch actuator cover off (2 screws) and manually pull the clutch actuator arm back into place.Internally, clutch actuator plate has three ball bearings that ride up out ofholes in the plate. Kinda hard to explain. Anyway, the plate can be over-actuated by a clutch cable that is too tight.

Unless you are sure the clutch plates, etc are worn, try pulling the actuator back manually like I described. Then re-adjust the cable. If you attempt to do the clutch job yourself,let me know. I did it, in the bike. It's possible but can be frustrating. Took me about 6-8 hours total.

Best of luck,

- Jack

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Hi Bob, the engine isn't as big a job as you might think. With a haynes or clymer book you will probably have the engine on the floor in less than a day.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

taking out the enghine on a 1000 is more time consuming than anything else, and if you have the inclination you can save lots of $$'s. It does help to have a jack with wheels when you pull it out the side. From there, geeting to the clutch is really straight forward.

was going to say this happened once while feathering the clutch a lot at a sidecar game... but remembered that the "over-heated" clutch stuck in drive. Fortunately when it cooled off it opened and closed okay (I did later replace it though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.