Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

First off, the bar is open for vertual beers for the new bloke.

Just got myself a nice 1976 GL 1000 that I have wanted for years.

Now there are a couple of things wrong that I can live with but the main problem is that it cuts out, just like fuel starvation.

It runs for a short while then cuts out, I pull the fuel pipe off the pump inlet and then stick it back on and its ready to go again no porblem, a few hundred yard and exactly the same thing happens.

I have had the fuel tap off the tank and cleaned it, I did notice that fuel did not squirt out of the two holes in the tank, infact I was surprised just how little amount of fuel came out. I had the cap off so it was vented.

The idle is a bit wrong too, once warm it will sit at about 2500 and when I tap the linkages it drops to about normal if not lower than.

Carbs have been balanced but I have noticed that the float bowls are not fastened very well, infact a couple of the screws dont bit home and some have been replaced with self tappers.

As you will see the above is spoiling my enjoyment of a bloody lovely bike.

I hope you can assist in some way so I may continue to ride into winter.

many thanks in advance.

Daz

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Sounds like several problems. The high idle may be just sticking linkages, as the idle drops when you tap them. Lubrication might help here. I'd be inclined to clean out the tank as well and put a bottle of that tank stabilizer stuff in as well for starters and see how that goes. Try bypassing the tan for a wjile by connecting a can of clean petrol to the fuel pump. If the bike idles without cutting out then you know the tank is the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Might want to check the fuel pump. The bike will run down to 3/4 full, then stop running because it's no longer gravity fed below 3/4 tank (or so). Also check the fuel filter.

Marco,

Ashland, OR

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.