Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

does any know of a after market exhust that will fit on a 77 gl 1000 i would like to change from one muffler too 2 muffler system not wanting to send a lot of money .

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

eventually after I finish my rebuild I will want new mufflers as well. I don't want to highjack this thread but, I know I have read a lot about using the sportster mufflers. and to make them fit to take them to some muffler shop to make them fit all nicely. Well why are we only mentioning sportster pipes. What about like the louder harley pipes or just pipes from a softtail can any kind off pipe be put on and have the bike run just fine?
Just wondering if everyone mentions the sportster because thats really the only thing that would work or because its the cheapest and easiest to find. Thanks

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

no not enough back preasure for thes jap bikes u need a muffler or it will run like crap

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I guess theres no reason you couldn't use some sport bikes mufflers.Like the kind that come off the pipe and runs up at a 45 degree angle and exits straight out the back. Depends what look your goin after.,,

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

oh ok i got it so it needs a muffler. hmm what about the Ducati 996 mufflers I love how those sound. But yea i don't think thats the sound I'm looking for on my GL1000,
I would want a deep sounding muffler, If i look up on youtube and find a video of a stock sportster with stock muflers and listen to the sound, how close will the sound of it match if and when I put them on my GL
Or any ideas on a good deep sounding muffler

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I've heard sporty mufflers on a wing and NO you won't be mistaken for a Sportster.lol,,,,

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

Big Cahuna, i just have to tell you that I can't stop laughing at the sign in your display. I live in boulder and if anyone has been to boulder, we have a lot of people with signs here, dam do I wish they were more creative like that guy, It way a great break from the Physics I should be studying.

Anyways back to the mufflers and gl1000 issue, Its not that I'm afraid of being mistake for a sportster its more that I want to have an idea of what they would sound like. Is there a youtube video of a GL1000 with the sportster mufflers on them? I would look it up myself but I should be studying not writing on forums and even less looking at youtube videos because then I know I will never get back to my studying.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I've put both the Sporster & Road King mufflers on my 77.

The big pluses with either is that they are the same diameter as the existing headers 1 3/4", they are well made, look good, sound OK ( louder than stock ), and realtively easy to mount & easy to obtain. I had the Sporsters on my bike all last year and it ran well but a little too loud for my liking. I welded extensions on them & that helped. This winter I have put a set of Road Kings on & am just able to run it in the garage but it runs good & I like the sound. A little quieter than the Sporsters and more of a deep sound.

The only thing you have to deceide is what look do you want ? The Sporsters are much shorter than the Road King and they both have their own mounting issues.

If you send me PM I can send you some pictures.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.