Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Son of Bronson
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I seem to recall reading somewhere that there is a drain in the
fuel tank on the 1000s. (mine is a 76)
I looked at the shop manual but it doesn't show anything.
Can anyone confirm that there IS a drain in the tank......
and where do I find it?
I need to clean the tank.
Thanks gang.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
There was no drain I could find in the '76 that I had. I just siphoned the fuel out prior to removing the tank and cleaning it by electrolysis.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
My 79 has a drain plug. It's on the right side under the cover near the rear brake master cylinder. Some say not to remove plug as it may never seal right after but I have had no leaks.
I actually used a pressure washer thro the fuel gauge hole to clean out the tank on my 79 with the drain open. sure was a lot of crude come out.
Wilf

·
Son of Bronson
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Paul and Wilf. I'll check and see if mine has one, now
that I know where to look.

·
Son of Bronson
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well waddayaknow? I just looked and there IS a drain, right where you
said it would be, Wilf!
Thanks very much!

Should be very interesting trying to use that drain without making a heck
of a mess, seeing as where it's located.
I'll figure something out though!!

Oh yeah, thanks for the pressure washer tip too!
Sounds like the way to go.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
There is a drain, and it will seal properly if the borders are clean and the plug is tighten correctly.

Just take care, the flow can be hard to contain when you pull the plug away, so be sure to find a convenient recipient ! Or you're gonna get clean hands, shoes, and garage floor ^^°

·
Son of Bronson
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ceides. I think I'll siphon the majority of the gas into
a gas can and use the drain at the end to get what's left, along
with whatever dirt comes out.
Then a good pressure washing.
After it's empty and I can inspect it, I'll decide whether
to do the electrolosis thing to it or not.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
If you clean the inside with pressure washing, just take care not damaging the fuel intake line and filters, running from the middle of the tank to the fuel petcock, a friend of mine used something a bit too powerful and unweld the line from the tank...

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
I have a question to help a friend of mine......(a Harley buddy)he was cleaning out his tank, when he noticed that the lining or covering on the inside had split open and when he hit it with air, more of the lining came off. It is now the size of a silver dollar. The question is, is there a fast patch or something to paint over it to seal the gasoline from touching the metal. He was going to paint it with some epoxy paint, but I said that it might desolve. Thanks for your advise

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
He need to find some special resin, if he want to get a clean surface protected from everything inside his tank. In France we all use some from a brand named Restom.
You put the liquid resin in the tank, turn it again and again so it's all covered by a film of resin, let it dry, and your tank is ok for decades...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.