Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Friend of mine acquired a 1000GL that has been stripped down, and the exhaust changed to straight pipes. It would not run when he got it, but now he has it running, but just barely. It starts and a cloud of smoke comes out and then it justmakes a popping sound out the pipe on the right side. A vacuum test and leak down test show nothing, so the head gasket and valves must be alright. Any ideas??????? Thanks

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
imported post

I have straight pipes on my gl1000 and when it starts poping out one side, it is either a sticking slide or the carbs are out of sync a little. if it is popping alot then it is most likely a slide. when my slides start sticking it runs horible on that side and is hard to keep started. you can usually get the slides out without taking the carbs compleatly out with some numble manuvering. might just wanna take them out anyway and check them out though just to see what condition they are in.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
imported post

if it is the slides i have had good luck with spraying carb cleaner through where the air cleaner goes and direct the spray into each carb while reving the engine a bunch untill it seems alright. taking the air cleaner houseing out makes it alot easier ( two 10mm bolts hold it in )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.