Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have recently changed my oil and found that the oil filter spring and washer are missing. It has been that way since i purchased the bike 5 months ago. Does anyone know if this is an important item? Is it ok to leave it out? I just replaced the timing belts and a valve due to a bad belt. I dont want to ruin my engine. Please help. Im sitting here idle and want to ride. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

You do need them. If not the filter has no effect on clening the oil. I can be just like not have a filter at all.

Mark Gaeth

Decatur, IN

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

I do'nt think it will reduce oil pressure as all the oil gets pumped through the chamber anyway, but no spring will mean that most of the oil will bypass the filter instead of being strained through it. the spring and washer are the same for the GL1100 & 1200 as well and the part numbers for ordering from Honda are;

15414-300-000 for the spring and 15415-300-000 for the washer.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

markgaeth wrote:
You do need them. If not the filter has no effect on clening the oil. I can be just like not have a filter at all.
[align=center]
That sums it up very nicely Mark. :clapper:[/align]

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I've actually seen a few 4 cylinder Wings with no oil filters fitted. I still can't figure out how an owner allows that to happen. :?:?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the spring is to hold the filter so the oil goes through the filter... on start-up the thick oil pushes the filter forward allowing the oil to bypass the filter allowing for better flow of the cold thick oil. get a spring

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
the spring is to hold the filter so the oil goes through the filter... on start-up the thick oil pushes the filter forward allowing the oil to bypass the filter allowing for better flow of the cold thick oil. get a spring
Ditto, ditto! Good oil filters are one of the main determinants of long engine life!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.