Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 77 gl1000 my first wing, and rebuild. I am 5'10 and am have trouble with the hieght when stopped... It's just way to tall in the saddle, sodoes anyone know of a different seat or something??? Itcame with the king/queen diamond tuck seat, and looks stock ? not sure........oh, and I have the rear shocks adjusted to the lowest mark. Thanks for any help!!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Well a King /Queen seat would not have been stock that is for sure, andI suspect at 5' 10" the seat is what is giving you the problem, as a stock height GL1000 should leave someone your height no problem touching the ground flat footed. (Unless you are very long in the body and short of leg:baffled:)

Before you get into tearing that seat appart or purchacing another, canI suggest you try and get to sit on another GL1000 with a different saddle, this will give you an idea of whether you have an issue, leg length wise,or whether it is just the saddle you have.

The good news is that evena stock seat can be cut down some if necessary, so you should be able to achieve your goal of being flat footed on the ground somehow.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Got a picture of your seat? You should be able to flat foot the bike with knee bend on these bikes. I'm your height and have zero issues in that regard.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

If you click on the blue locations under your avatar, this will take you to members in your area, Pidgeon forge has three members but the other two ride an 18 and a 1500 so not too mauch help to you. Expanding the search to Tennessee, throws up a whole lot more. Retiredintime is in Clarksville and has a GL1000 for a start and I will have to leave it to you to find folks nearby from the list. By clicking on the name of anyone that looks to be close, you can then click on their name to see their profile and that should tell you what bike they ride.

Once you have established some possibles, it would be worth PMing them to see if you could hook up and try sitting on their bikes.

Just trying to help.

:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Quick fix, is bigger boots. I too have trouble on my 1200 with sneakers, and have only used sneakers to get to the gas station and back.
With my boots on I have no issue . Im 5 11 but stout , pudgy, Ok ok FULL FIGURED.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the replies my friends, I have had alot of bikes but this one is the most up right and straight up ride ever.. Like staddling a horse, ive had to duck going under bridges..

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,705 Posts
imported post

Tnmtnboy,

It's that very feature that attracts me to the Goldwings. My back can't stand that "lean forward" stance that most of the bikes require you to be in.

On my 1500, I could put my feet up on the highway bars, lean back into the backrest and just let that cruise control take me down the highway :D

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Tnmtnboy wrote:
Thanks for the replies my friends, I have had alot of bikes but this one is the most up right and straight up ride ever.. Like staddling a horse, ive had to duck going under bridges..
Wow, it does sound as if you have a 5' body and 10" legs!!! :shock::cheeky1:

what inseam are you?

I am about 5'11" with 32-33" inseam and have no bother flat footing any Wing model.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I rode a gl1000 the other that was set up for a 6'5" tal guy. The lean forward position was cool for a while but my wrist and elbow started hurting. After being so uncomfortable I scooted foward on the seat .
It felt so natural and the comfort and ejoyment level went up.
Trythe boots. They may be an issue.
You wouldnt be sitting on the pass seat would you???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.