Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1978 GL 1000 with 35000 miles on it.....Just getting it ready for riding season....I was warming it up today to drop the oil in it...and I am noticing a slight ticking coming from the stator that I do not remember hearing. The headlight still gets brighter when it is revved up from idle...but I dont want to get stranded on a road trip....Is this ticking indicative of a problem? Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
are you sure it's the stator ticking? the bolt for the rotor may have loosened up or it may be the starter clutch or chain. unfortunately the only way to really tell what's going on in there is to pull the motor.

·
Large Member
788 Posts
If you have a harbor freight nearby, get their mechanic's stethoscope. I bought one and it has been invaluable when chasing noises. I almost bought an alternator for my daughter's car due to a bearing howl. Turned out to be the tension pulley instead. Would have wasted 5x the money and not fixed it had it not been for that. It was well worth the $4 cost. Since then have used it to narrow down other issues as well, a great time saver. You can actually hear the water swirl through the radiator hose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.