Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1982 GL1100
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are new to the Goldwing family. Please forgive if I get any of the terminology incorrect. We have worked on cars but have no experience with motorcycles.

My 18 yo son found a 1982 GL1100 that has been sitting outside under a cover. Story is the seller received from the wife of a deceased friend so no real history but only 5,600 Miles on the odometer.

Price was right and he was looking for a project to work on.

we originally tried rotating the engine using a high gear and pushing the bike but it never broke loose.

The engine can be rotated from the alternator but it stops, we have not forced it beyond that point.

We removed the timing belts as we felt the valves may be in the way of the pistons or the valves may be set out of sync

Crank shaft appears to rotate freely with timing belts off.

Our question is what are next steps? The cam shafts are very hard to move and we do not want to force them. But since they will not move we can not set them to the timing marks. We were hoping to avoid having to pull off the heads.

any help will be appreciated.

should the cam shafts move freely with the timing belts off?

how much force should needed to move the cam shafts with the timing belts off?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Don't ever try to start the engine without Timing Belts on and correctly timed.
and don't try to rotate the engine over either, without the belts on and timed correctly.

All Goldwing engines are INTERFERENCE ENGINES, meaning that the valves protrude into the compression area and when the piston hits the valve, all kinds of havoc will result.

pull all the plugs out, then roll the bike in 5th gear and see if water/fuel crap is flushed out through spark plug hole.

If you have been working on cars a lot, you have already seen what happens when a piston strikes an Open Valve.
it ain't pretty.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You can remove the valve covers and see if there's anything interfering with cam rotation.

·
Registered
1982 GL1100
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't ever try to start the engine without Timing Belts on and correctly timed.
and don't try to rotate the engine over either, without the belts on and timed correctly.

All Goldwing engines are INTERFERENCE ENGINES, meaning that the valves protrude into the compression area and when the piston hits the valve, all kinds of havoc will result.

pull all the plugs out, then roll the bike in 5th gear and see if water/fuel crap is flushed out through spark plug hole.

If you have been working on cars a lot, you have already seen what happens when a piston strikes an Open Valve.
it ain't pretty.
Thanks for the response.

First thing we tried is to put in 5th gear and push bike, bike would not move.

One thing I left out we did pull spark plugs and put in MMO and let it sit before trying anything.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Unfortunately it sounds like the cylinder bore/piston rings are so corroded the engine will not turn. If so you might nor be able to salvage that engine.
Since you have the belts off it might not be a bad idea to remove the cylinder heads or if you know someone who owns a borescope to inspect the cylinder walls.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
should the cam shafts move freely with the timing belts off?

how much force should needed to move the cam shafts with the timing belts off?
If pistons are at the top and you try to rotate the cams the valves will hit the pistons. You have to make sure all the pistons are part way down then turn the cams to line up the timing marks, turn the engine back to TDC and put the belts back on. Maybe you haven't damaged anything yet. There is probably a rusty spot in a cylinder stopping the engine from turning.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
borescope or pull the heads off, find the cylinder(s) causing the travel to stop.

then Squirt Deep Creep on the spots where you can see rust, let it soak overnight, and do it again the next day.
eventually, the rings will turn loose and the engine will roll over.

I once had to replace the Exhaust Manifold gaskets to the header pipes on a '69 chevy that dad gave me. The nuts were rusted so tight, that I knew I would break something if I didn't get rid of the rust.

I sprayed them heavy one day, and a couple of days later, thought I would spray them again.
To my surprise, all of the nuts unscrewed with just my fingers, never put a wrench on them.

I was shocked!

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
862 Posts
As stated earlier position the crank shaft midway between the T1 and T2 marks, all pistons will be in the center of the bores. Then it is safe to fully rotate the camshafts and position them to the timing marks. Then you can rotate the crankshaft to the T1 mark.

It should be noted while turning the cams that the valve springs put considerable resistance to the cam when rotating over a valve lobe. The cam pulleys will not be easily turned by hand. You may need to put a wrench on the cam pulley bolt to turn them past a valve lobe.

Be certain, though, that your pistons are mid-stroke before doing this. You don't want to be forcing a valve into a piston top at TDC. Then you can put your timing belts back on. I recommend NEW ones.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The right side cam will not want to stay at the mark. Valve spring pressure wants to move it. You can hold it in line with an assistant. But rotate the engine with it in its relaxed state.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I would just say this. If the valves are bent (not likely) or the cylinders are rusted (likely) Either way the heads have to come off. I

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
862 Posts
I would just say this. If the valves are bent (not likely) or the cylinders are rusted (likely) Either way the heads have to come off. I
He did say crankshaft rotates freely with cam belts off.

·
Registered
269 Posts
He said earlier that the crank turned freely with belts off. May have turned it backwards. Put a screwdriver in a plug hole to see where the pistons are, ensure you are not near top dead center before turning the cams.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
He did say crankshaft rotates freely with cam belts off.
I bet he broke it loose and turned it down from the rust. Now he can't rotate it an entire turn safely because the belts are off. I feel like if the engine was so locked up it would not yrn in 5th gear the heads are going to end up on the floor sooner or later. Just my bet not my hope. :)

·
Registered
1982 GL1100
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for the responses. The feed back is very helpful.

To recap / clarify.

The crank shaft rotates Freely

As suggested we rotated crank shaft from TD1 and the left (from seated position) cam shaft is able to be rotated to the timing mark.

The right cam shaft will not rotate (we do not want to put too much pressure on the shaft).

Our thinking is we will have to take off right head to see what is going on with the valves.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
Could be a valve stuck closed if it will rotate backward but it also could be the cam seized in the head. Loosen the adjusters and see if it will move if not loosen the rocker arm bolts.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I like Dave0430 idea. If that does not work, try this.

Remove the camshafts. All the valves should close with the camshafts removed. If one valve remains open tap it with a wooden hammer after making sure the piston is down in that cylinder.

If the engine rotates all the way around with the camshafts removed and all the valves closed. You may not need to remove the heads. Why break the cylinder heads gasket seal unless it's necessary. Take it one step at a time.

Rayjoe

Reactions: redwing52

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Thank you all for the responses. The feed back is very helpful.

To recap / clarify.

The crank shaft rotates Freely

As suggested we rotated crank shaft from TD1 and the left (from seated position) cam shaft is able to be rotated to the timing mark.

The right cam shaft will not rotate (we do not want to put too much pressure on the shaft).

Our thinking is we will have to take off right head to see what is going on with the valves.
Does the cam rotate at all in either direction? Even 1/4" in either direction?
I agree with RayJoe and DaveO.

·
Registered
1982 GL1100
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Could be a valve stuck closed if it will rotate backward but it also could be the cam seized in the head. Loosen the adjusters and see if it will move if not loosen the rocker arm bolts.
Thank you for the input , I was able to rotate the right cam shaft backwards and then forwards. Appears the intake valve on the number 3 cylinder is stuck all other valves move freely.

So we have fee moving crank shaft, free moving left cam shaft and free moving right cam shaft except for the intake valve on #3 cylinder.

we will try tapping as @rayjoe suggests above. Thanks all. I will report back

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
A little PB Blater or WD40 sprayed in on the valve stem and some soak time might help?????

1 - 20 of 24 Posts