Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Purchased fork seals from ebay in june and after putting on about 800 miles there is oil all over the front end of my bike and the brake pads which now will also have to be replaced. I went with the cheapest ones, and once again my cheapness has come around to bite me. I have also noticed a wobble between 35 and 40 mph could the fork seals cause this? Just wanted an opinion on what aftermarket fork seals have worked well for any gl 1100 riders? If none of them work it will be off to the stealership to spend $62 on two rubber seals and two dust covers and now new brake pads.

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

Did you also replace the bushings and inspect the tubes carefully for defects? The Parts Unlimited aftermarket seals I have used have been identical in every marking to OE seals.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

most of the times seals in general fail due to wear on the parts they are supposed to seal. a 20 or 30 yr old piece of metal that a seal rides on gets a groove worn into it dont ask me how a piece of plastic wears in to steel but ive seen it a billion times...

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Well the fork seals were not leaking prior but I decided to change them as a percaution. Is there a post that will show me some specs to check the fork tubes and bushings or should I just plan on replacing them?

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

You should be able to see any scratches, pitting or scuffing on the tubes and if the upper bushings show any copper on the inside or on the outside of the lower bushings they need to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

The fork bushings should be considered worn if the copper is showing heavily through the surface of them. Aftermarket seals usually work fine, it isn't rocket science for the seal manfacturers to get that right.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I imagine that the bushings will have to be genuine honda parts. I did not pay attention to the fork bushings when I did the seals, unfortunately. I will be doing it over and this time I will pay more attention to the details. Can anyone help me find a good fork seal install post. I had found a really good one on here when I did it the first time and now I can not find that same post. I want to get these apart before the Packer Game Starts and we chalk up another win!!!

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
imported post

I've never had a problem with aftermarket seals. Be sure you do not use a hammer when installing them! Could be you may have damaged them when you installed them.
Most likely someone on here can tell you exactly what size "seal driver" to use.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

I have had problems with "Leakproof" seals. They were a little thinner than OEM and could supposedly float a little. As far as I'm concerned OEMs and aftermarkets are the same as long as all dimensions match. DaveO430 the PartsUnlimited stuff is good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.