Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 83 1100 aspencade that was running 3 months ago and now it won't start. I pulled the plugs and grounded them and no spark at all. Is there something common to both sides?

After checking all here's were I am.

Power to the kill switch, power at the spark units, what I can't findwhich is the only other commonality is the resistor. Can anyone tell me where to locate the resistor? Or does anyone have any other ideas???

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Jason I did, but I tried to update where I am now that I checked everything. The posting stayed at the lower level and probably wouldn't have been seen again. I'm still stumped on where to go next.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Have you checked for a signal at the crank trigger/pulse generator? Have you checked the neutral safety switch circuit? Have you checked all the fuses? Have you checked the coils for primary and secondary resistance? Any and all of these will cause a no start condition. It's tedious when a problem like this occurs, but, once you verify that each component/system of the electrical system is operating correctly it will start if it has fuel, compression and air. If you want to do a quick check, hot wire the coils (12 volts to + side of coils+key in RUN position) and see if it runs, but, don't drive it like that because you won't have a kill switch if something goes wrong. Once it fires after the hotwire you'll know you missedfinding a badcircuit in the electrical system. You may also have to short the neutral safety circuit if it won't start with the hotwire. Get a manual and follow the schematics to determine which wires to short for the neutral safety, but, again, do not drive the bike with the neutral safety shorted otherwise you could hurt yourself or others.

Good luck and have a wonderful Christmas.

Vic

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Found the problem with Vic's help (Goldwing 1984), it was the neutral safety switch. Possibly nothing more than the switch wasn't completely engaged. Here's what I did, put the bike in gear, pulled the clutch lever hit the start switch. After a few tries the bike started as advertised. You could hear the ignition of the fuel with the first turning of the motor. Turned the bike off after a few mintues, set back to neutral and started the bike several times in the neutral position, thanks Vic.

Pete

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Well done Pete. Glad to see you got sorted and it's nice to see you updated us. Always good when we get the final result. Happy Christmas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.