Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I ride my dad's 1982 GL 1100 that I have restored. It has been on the same battery for about three / four years. It is time for a new one and I just need some advice as to what I should buy. Don't want to spend too much if I do not have to but I do want to buy something that I can trust and that will last. My father in-law suggest a GEL battery but don't know which to buy and if this is really the best way to go. Any advice and / or links would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
imported post

I can only share what I have and have used aPC-680 Odyssey for about 1yr.-9mths., and still acts like new.,........ Here's the place and the same price when Ibought mine!!$109+ free shipping and I have never seen any other place cheaper. tristatebattery.com Good Luck,:waving:Bob

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I used a Deka AGM from a local battery store. It lasted 3 years. Now Having to use a lead acid battery for now but it's new

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i got ahold of the interstate battery company i can get a maintance free one for 85 bucks sounds like a good deal 2 me

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

DEKA AGM is probably the best and no worries about topping up with water. They last 6-7 years if maintained properly.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

sle104 wrote:
newday777 wrote:
These are good
http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/29809/20387

Or go to walmart, may not have gel battery there. @ $60
Walmart has gel battery for 60 bucks thats a really good price I have never seen them there.
As I said, Walmart may not have a gel battery.
I think they sell wet batteries only for the 1100-1500.
The 1800 may have a gel battery at Walmart, but I don't know the price for that.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

mochilla4122 wrote:
I ride my dad's 1982 GL 1100 that I have restored. It has been on the same battery for about three / four years. It is time for a new one

Are you replacing it because of its age, or is it giving problems? I have a AGM in mine and it starts strong everytime, no matter how cold or how long it has been sitting.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

while coming home from nassir in CO. . i had battery failure. (wet cell) nursed it home and replaced it with a AGM type battery. also got a battery tender jr. that i keep hooked up to it. so far she firers up like a new battery.

·
Registered
267 Posts
imported post

I use a maintenance free I average 4 years on them the wet ones i use to get about 1 1/2 years, I guess i would forget to service them and it shortened the life of the battery

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
imported post

Do the Gel batteries need a special charger ?? was told that they did but I can't understand why :coollep::coollep:

·
Premium Member
3,312 Posts
imported post

Winger 82 wrote:
Do the Gel batteries need a special charger ?? was told that they did but I can't understand why :coollep::coollep:
I believe any of the microprocessor controlled chargers will be fine to charge any of the batteries. BatteryStuff.com states on their web site that all the chargers they sell are safe for all the batteries they sell and can be left on them indefinately without harm. One of the brand of chargers they sell is the Battery Tender which Iown and I have used it on both wet cell and AGM batteries without any harm. I usually leave it on my battery any time I am not riding.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Gel and AGM are not the same thing... be careful what you ask for.. the terms should not be used interchangeably...

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks all the great tips. I ended up going to auto zone and purchasing the same one that I had on there before. Funny thing is that the bike still wouldn't crank on the new battery. Needless to say I was frustrated but luckily I knew the problem was electric. I wiggled the main fuse a couple of times and the lights came on. Cranked right up after that. My main fuse connection must have beem loose or something. Anyone ever had a problem like this ? Thanks again for all the tips.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
Gel and AGM are not the same thing... be careful what you ask for.. the terms should not be used interchangeably...
This is good to know thanks :coollep:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

I have seen them at walmart for $50. I use walmart 3 year batteries in my cars with real good success. in my 4th year on one. I will get walmart for my next bike battery.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

WestCo gel batteris have been in my 82' GW since 1988. I just recently bought a 3rd one so battery life in these is pretty good especially when on a WestCo tender.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.