Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just removed carbs from '83 gl 1100. #2 & 4 were flooding. I have Randak's kit. Do I need to get new float needle and seat?

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

You probably do need to get new ones. You might clean them up and make the work but the best way is new.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Maybe!

After cleaning reassemble all parts except the pistons. Hook up a manual gasoline feed with about 2.5 feet of drop in the line. Give it 5 minutes or so to see if gasoline wells up out of the jet. It it doesn't your probably good to go. It it does then your float setting isn't correct or the needle and or seat are bad.

IMHO there is a very, very small change that the float has become saturated with gas and won't float properly. This is normally only a problem when the floats are hollow andget a leak. I don't beleive GW floats are. Weigh them on a diet scale or do a float test in a can of gas. All should weigh almost the same or exhibit similar bouyancy.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,761 Posts
imported post

I don't know about the 1100, but the 1200 & 1500 floats are hollow and do develope leaks. At least 2 of mine did and that's what you should test first. Just shake them and listen for sloshing. As far as the needles go, look for something stuck in them that may be keeping them from closing properly.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
imported post

If you do get new needles and seats make sure you get oem Honda ones not aftermarket. many have trouble with aftermarket ones.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

I've always been able to re-use the original, but if you can't get them to seal, and find that you need new ones, then like already mentioned, do yourself a favor and use only OEM.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

bench test before you reinstall like this, level the carbs look down the slide tube..no fuel should be coming up out of the jet..if it is bad float needle.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.