Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My GL1100 now seems to sit too far back when put on the centre stand, to the point where it cannot be rocked off the stand when I am on the bike. Is there any way of adjusting this??

It seems to have got worse over the last couple of weeks but I cannot see anything obviously wrong.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

They can't be adjusted. You may find that the stand is slightly bent, or the feet worn down.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Tap on the frame cross member that holds the center (centre) stand. It's not unheard of that they will decay internally. If you find any soft spots, you may want to avoid using the centre stand untill you can get it reenforced or replaced.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

OldSchool_IsCool wrote:
Tap on the frame cross member that holds the center (centre) stand. It's not unheard of that they will decay internally. If you find any soft spots, you may want to avoid using the centre stand untill you can get it reenforced or replaced.
This is what happened to mine. Check the cross tube that the center stand bracket is welded to. There is a good possibility that the tube is twisting when you put the bike on the stand.

This is what mine looked like. This pic was taken with the bare frame on its side. The bolt in the pic is the pinch bolt for the center stand tube.

Hopefully this isnt your problem, I just posted the pics to give you a place to look.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
imported post

I agree with the guys, sounds like your crossmember is rotting and twisting. same happened on my bike. Mine was so bad that the centre stand wasknocking into the engine and couldn't bend/twist any more.Luckily the engine casing wasn't damaged. Stop using the centre stand immediately. It's gonna need a strip down to get enough access to cut and weld i'm afraid.I had the tube cut out and a new piece welded back in. Stronger than original now. I got the frame powder coated andlooking brand new. good luck

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks all - fortunately the cross tube is solid and not twisted so I guess the next step is to get the stand off and see if it has bent in some way. Thinking about it I did ground something when making a hard left turn with a pillion passenger, I never did work out what it was!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.