Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

so i'm planning to replace my clutch on the 81 and to my surprise i see no options for clutch plates,only ebc standard cork.:stumped:.
i was expecting to find kevlar and heavy duty springs to perhaps upgrade to my sometimes rough riding style,but no such thing seems to exist that i can find.

anyone have any input on this.

thanks

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

email Randall and Octane they have racing goldwings and i cant remember who was the one that posted pics of a new high performance clutch, they may be able to give you some details

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

sweet,i just dismantled a clutch from a spare 83 motor,a bit different from my 81,but it gave me an idea of what i'm going to be up against.

it's always nice to have a spare engine around.

i'll check out frenchy and randakk and see what's what.

thanks

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
imported post

Keep us updated on what you find out, I felt my clutch slip a little the other day and was thinking about replacing the clutch this winter before I build a camp trailer to pull with the bike.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

will do,just sent an e mail to randakk to see if i can pick his brain a bit.he mostly restores 1000's but they have no listing for kevlar either from ebc,but naturally there is a listing for the 1000 from barnett,no friction but steel plates and springs or kit(don't know if that means w/friction plates though).
this is starting to be a bigger issue than i thought.
you would think that someone would have hd clutch available for gl's,there might be a few people with them.lol.i'll keep ya posted.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

well here's the update,:p

there does not seem to be anything other than oe or ebc friction plates.

barnett replied to my email and the only thing that will work is their springs from the 1000.mind you the ebc springs are quoted as being 10% stiffer than stock to begin with so i don't know what i'll use for springs yet.

the difference in price is also a factor.around $60 for the ebc and $138 for oe.

the mechanics i questioned said that they have had no issues with the ebc clutches but i'm still undecided but i'm leaning towards the ebc:baffled:

sorry i got no better news.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
imported post

I hope we hear from someone else on this soon, I had a Barnett racing clutch with stiffer springs in a 350X back in the day and the clutch felt jerky on take off. Fine for the dirt but don't think I would like it on the Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Check with the Honda dealer. When we did our clutches, there were several options available other than than the oem that could be ordered thru Honda. I went with the HD and dad went back standard. Only noticable difference is that mine has a stiffer feel in the lever. If I was to do it again I would NOT go with the HD.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

KG Clutch Factory part number KGS-023

Springs are 20% stronger than stock.

Fits:

Honda: CBX1047, CR 250r, CX 500 TC, CX 650T, GL 1100A,I,

Kawasiki: EN 440A2, 454LTD, 450A6, 500A1-A7, D1, D2

I didn't see the clutch package ..... it is somewhere ....

I installed mine back in '95 ish ....

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

cool,thanks pete.

there are so many more options in the u.s. than here in canada.

temp out of stock on the plates till end of the month but it's a snow flyin' project anyway.:cheeky1:

now the only problem is they ship ups to canada for $45 +$50 brokerage fee(low estimate) + taxes + duty.never ship ups to canada!brokerage fees are a killer.

bummer that it will be around $260 for it to canada.........:p:p:p:p that sucks.
but i'll look into u.s. shipping and pick up at the border.:baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

i just dismantled a clutch from a spare 83 motor,a bit different from my 81
This is interesting.
I know the rear cover actuator is different, did you find anything else different?
AFAIK the 80-83 clutch assemblies are identical otherwise.
The '83 actuator in the cover has a better leverage action which makes the lever easier to pull.

In my post about the clutch, I never found out for sure if those plates were EBC, OEM or some other brand so I wouldnt rule out EBC as an option.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

haven't torn the 81 apart yet to see but noticed in the honda manual that there are alot more moving parts in the 81 cover and that to me means more parts to wear out and possibly be a weak link.if the 83 cover will fit and work,i'll likely use it rather than the original cover:baffled:.

the 83 clutch parts look brand new,the bike only had 60,000 km on it so somewhere close to 30,000 miles.i miked the "like new" friction plates but they were thicker than the honda manual max by a mm.the engine was completely flooded with old gas and oil so they might have swelled:baffled:.i even checked other random plates and found the same thing.(honda's last oe plate is a different # than the rest so i thought it might be thicker.)so it could be ebc in the 83 now orswelled oe:baffled:

i'm getting too curious about this so i will likely order parts today or next week.today at 11:30am it's a beautiful 10 degrees celcious,around 50 centigrade and thewind is crisp so riding weather iscomming to a quick end for me :p

kvf 650 time.:cool:..........got to have something for the winter to ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.