Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi Everyone,

I have picked up some small driving lights for my bike a month or so ago. I have been debating on how I should mount them and where. Nothing I seem to come up with as far as mounting them tickles my fancy. I am being too picky and I know that.

I was wondering… would any of you guys out there that have a GL1100 with a fairing and a set of driving lights be willing to post a picture of how and where you have them mounted? Maybe a little note on the ability to light the road??

I am not worried about the electrics, got that covered in my sleep. Finding a reasonable place and method to mount them seems to escape me for some reason. I just can’t seem to make my mind up.

Thanks in advance,

Tim.

Oh yes… happy 4[suP]th[/suP] of July for you guys just south of us!! Enjoy and be safe!! :birthday:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Standard "L" brakets from any hardware store or even Walmart.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
imported post

Ha ha, Happy fourth, I have the same delima, went ta Walmart and saw the small drive lights, wantto install some but not wanting to punceh holes in original fairing kinda like what Bagmaster did there, but would like a more hidden agenda! and wiring wha about that, any step by step on those!

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
imported post

Gotta chk out Speed TV, there doing a special on the Lowrider's very nice 30's,40's car's shown, I'm a Car nutt too! bike's are cool, but most guy's here are chump's when it come's to add on's lol. I still want extended pipes, twin fishtails more light's etc.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Hey Mrbigrick,

I'll tell you what... once I find a good way of mounting the lights, I will do a complete, Step-by-Step on how and where to mount them and a good tutorial on the wiring. I'll provide a wealth of pictures as well.

So keep the pictures coming in.

I do know one thing though, I am going to relocate my trunk in the next few weeks and I plan to do a complete "How to" on that. I think there will be a bit of interest in that one.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i made a bracket and mounted mine to the highway bars, keeps them low to the ground in case of fog, then i put a toggle switch on them and on the head light in the fog it helps

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Hey Peterbilt,

Got any pictures of your mounts?

Tim.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Here was a simple way to mount the two 35w driving lights on my 83I. Not fancy but effective.

Hobie

Attachments

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

I got these from Walmart for $16 and put 35w bulbs(Lowes) in them. Wired straight to the battery with a relay trigger switch to the Low-Beam.

These are mounted on the chrome trim ring about 1.5"-2" from the trim bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Where are you guys finding the 35w bulbs? Even after getting all my running lights and signal/brake lights switched over to led's mine still pulls down the charging system more than I like.

I'm also thinking about moving the "L" brackets to the inside of the fairing for a cleaner look.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

Here are some pic's of mine. I used highway peg bar clamps on the crash bar for the lower set and bought some driving light brackets from Saber Cycle that mount inside the fairing for the upper lights. Can' run both at the same time or the battery will be dead in about five minutes. I can't take any close-ups because the 1100 is getting refurbished. When I get it back together in a month or two, if you still need them I will take some close ups.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

35w replacement bulbs on ebay all day long. Thats where I got mine. You can get narrow, wide or spot bulbs.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Where are you guys finding the 35w bulbs? Even after getting all my running lights and signal/brake lights switched over to led's mine still pulls down the charging system more than I like.

I'm also thinking about moving the "L" brackets to the inside of the fairing for a cleaner look.
Here are the 35 watt bulbs that I put on my 1100, to solve exactly the problem you describe. They are extremely bright, easily as bright as the 55 watt bulbs I took out, and they last - two years and counting now.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
Bagmaster wrote:

Here are the 35 watt bulbs that I put on my 1100, to solve exactly the problem you describe. They are extremely bright, easily as bright as the 55 watt bulbs I took out, and they last - two years and counting now.
Did you just use the bulbs or that whole wiring assembly they show there?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.