Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
just wondering, Do I have too absolutely remove the heads to split the engine block on the GL 1100. ( Taking the crank shaft and trans gears out of the 83' GL 1100 block and installing them into 81' block .. Same part number for the block )

Thank You

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,357 Posts
Just wondering why you want to change the crank and gears into another block. Is the old one cracked or damaged somehow?

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello BellBoy,
It started out I was going to install the 81 Gl1100 (26K Miles) into my 83' Aspencade ( Old gl1100 engine has issues ( 110000K miles) ) Come to find out because of the Aspencade digital display, The natural switch assembly on the 81 is different and will not mount from the 83' the 81 engine, in doing the research , the crank shaft and trans gears are the only differences between the 2 engines, So I figured I will install the 83 stuff in the 81 block, beats paying to have 83' heads rebuilt and replacing the piston rings and a few other things.
Problem I am having now is getting the 83' case ( engine block ) split.. Have removed all the bolts and everything the book says. not sure whats going on with the darn thing..

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya that was my original plan, to rebuild the old engine, Thing is , It may have cracks or other issues and I just don't want to have to redo it again, with the older block only having 26k Miles, it just seemed it would be better over all, Yes maybe more work but it would be in better shape ( I hope hehe )
Still cant get this darn case split..

·
Honda Guru
2,079 Posts
Hey MarkV…

I've split the cases on a lot of wings and want to pass on a hint….. when it comes to splitting the cases they should split easily. If you have to force them…. something is wrong.

If it'll help…. You're in Placerville…. I'm in Jackson. I wouldn't mind coming up to try to help.
PM me if I can be of any help.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow Ray , That would be great,
I will PM you as soon as I figure out how, lol with the new format on this site, Its been a bit of a challenge for me to navigate around here.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Wow Ray , That would be great,
I will PM you as soon as I figure out how, lol with the new format on this site, Its been a bit of a challenge for me to navigate around here.
Left click on his screen name and you'll get a list of things scroll down , one is PM member.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes luvmyhotrod, I took every bolt I could see out...
I am thinking it is just so old and ( for lack of a better word) its fused together via the gasket and it's going to almost take brute force to separate it..
Thx for the input ..

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Do you have a count of the bolts you have removed?

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not a clue.
Didn't need to worry about it because I have the second engine I'm using as the replacement, on that one I will be watching and noting everything I take apart..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.