Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1980 GL 1100A
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first time posting so please bear with me.

OK so, I have an early 1980 GL 1100 - engine number SCO2E - 2000253. I need to find a substitute crankshaft (and rods and pistons).
Looking at the parts list (below) this means I can only substitute with an '80 or 81 crank (pistons and rods run later) and not and '82.

Crankshaft.jpg

I've found a potential donor, engine number SCO2E - 2110979, the '21' referring to 1981, which is a year I can use.
However, looking at my parts list (below) however it advises that:
GL1100 '81 A SC02E- 2100002 To 2133800
GL1100 '82 A SC02E- 2100051 To 2133800

Serial Numbers.jpg

So, does the '82 GL1100 A use an '81 engine and is it compatibe or not???

My head hurts!

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
Instead of changing just the crank would it not be easier to swop a complete engine, as long as you know what year it is should you need parts in the future it would be easier.
I have rebuilt a couple of 1000 and 1200 engines and they are not the easiest to do

·
Registered
269 Posts
The cases have to be matched to the crank. A complicated bearing code process. And good luck on finding bearings.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,088 Posts
The 80-81 bikes were very similar. Honda started making changes with the gearing on the 82-83 engines. I think your serial number info is wrong. The 80 engines were 2000xxx, 81 were 2100xxx, 82 were 2200xxx and 83 2300xxx.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had to replace a crankshaft in a 1200 because somebody chrome-plated the oil filter Bolt and the bypass didn't work. The aftermarket oil filter was crushed from being clogged. Number codes on the case and crank determines which color bearing goes on that journal.

·
Registered
1980 GL 1100A
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cases have to be matched to the crank. A complicated bearing code process. And good luck on finding bearings.

Cheers, I dont mid getting a little engineering done, after all the origials have been lost by the machine shop so I'd like to think they might make the effort. Are you saying though that the matching bearings arent easy to get hold of? Forgive my naivity.

·
Registered
1980 GL 1100A
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Instead of changing just the crank would it not be easier to swop a complete engine, as long as you know what year it is should you need parts in the future it would be easier.
I have rebuilt a couple of 1000 and 1200 engines and they are not the easiest to do
Cheers Sprocketrocket55 I'm becoming inclined to agree. The engine I've seen has knackered mountings so not perfect cases. I might need to hold fire for now 'till I find a decent substitute. Hey ho...

·
Registered
1980 GL 1100A
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 80-81 bikes were very similar. Honda started making changes with the gearing on the 82-83 engines. I think your serial number info is wrong. The 80 engines were 2000xxx, 81 were 2100xxx, 82 were 2200xxx and 83 2300xxx.
Hi JamesPal, cheers for responding. I agree, the engine numbers are pretty specific to the year but that's what the parts list is saying. Thanks for the info on the change of the gearing, just wondering what the actual developments to the cranks were?

Cheers!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Probably very little. Shells come in a few sizes and you need the codes from the crank and from the cases, there are NO undersize shells just variarions in tolerances, some sizes are impossible others just difficult.
If you were desperate i think a complete 1000 engine would go OK but not a 1200

·
Administrator
26,564 Posts
The only difference in any year 1100 is the gearing.

·
Registered
1980 GL 1100A
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only difference in any year 1100 is the gearing.
Hi!
OK, so theoretically I could use any available crank and it'd 'fit'? Is that the gearing on the crank or the other drive sprockets? Cheers.

·
Administrator
26,564 Posts
Hi!
OK, so theoretically I could use any available crank and it'd 'fit'? Is that the gearing on the crank or the other drive sprockets? Cheers.
Cranks will all fit. Bearings may be hard to find. The transmission gearing, 80-81 are the same, 82 has a little taller gearing and 83 has a lower 1st gear but a higher final reduction.

·
Registered
1980 GL 1100A
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cranks will all fit. Bearings may be hard to find. The transmission gearing, 80-81 are the same, 82 has a little taller gearing and 83 has a lower 1st gear but a higher final reduction.
Thanks for the info on this, its appreciated. I've done a little more research and found the Wingovations page on crankshaft bearings very informative: Choosing your crank bearings - Honda Goldwing Parts, Service, Info
I think what I'll try to do is at the very least source matching crank, rods and cases or a complete short engine.
I see what you are saying about the gearing but would it be a problem to put 80-81 transmission with 82/83 crank, rods and cases?
Cheers!

·
Registered
1980 GL 1100A
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Probably very little. Shells come in a few sizes and you need the codes from the crank and from the cases, there are NO undersize shells just variarions in tolerances, some sizes are impossible others just difficult.
If you were desperate i think a complete 1000 engine would go OK but not a 1200
I'm learning more as I go along about what can go where. I'll hold out for an 1100 but may need to tell the workshop about the specifics of the engine. They arent straight forward when it comes to chopping bits around and the bearing shells are obviously as valuable as the main components themselves.

·
Administrator
26,564 Posts
Thanks for the info on this, its appreciated. I've done a little more research and found the Wingovations page on crankshaft bearings very informative: Choosing your crank bearings - Honda Goldwing Parts, Service, Info
I think what I'll try to do is at the very least source matching crank, rods and cases or a complete short engine.
I see what you are saying about the gearing but would it be a problem to put 80-81 transmission with 82/83 crank, rods and cases?
Cheers!
That's what I'm saying, you can mix and match any of it. The thing to do if you can is use the 83 gears.

·
Registered
1980 GL 1100A
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's what I'm saying, you can mix and match any of it. The thing to do if you can is use the 83 gears.
OK, great, thanks again for the advice. I'll keep my eye out now and wont avoid an '83. Cheers!

·
Registered
1980 GL 1100A
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, great, thanks again for the advice. I'll keep my eye out now and wont avoid an '83. Cheers!
By the way, I've seen an 1100 with a code SC02E - 26XXXXX. That doesnt seem to fit with my understanding of engine codes as that would make it a 1986? Does that seem right to you?

·
Administrator
26,564 Posts
Maybe it had a 1200 engine in it. Has been done several times.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts