Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, a while back i had a problem with my cylinder heads blowing gaskets,and after doing doing the process according to a diferent manual things seemed to be ok, but now my brother in law is having the same problem,i have done every thing the same as when i did my bike but his gasket only lasts about 2500km and then he gets water on the pistons. I have checked every thing and the only diference on his engine is that the liners seem to be to deep in, ie there is no protrusion of the liner above the block. Can any one tell me what the liner protrusion must be, or where can i get this information or any technical specs on the engine so that i can have any machining necessary done.

Thanks in anticipation Bryan Green

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

I can't answer exactly, but my recollection is that the liners are not protuding.. just level with the block. . most often, early gasket failure is due to (1) surface cleaning issue (2) head warped (3) improper torque.

I'll assume the first two are in order and talk aboutonly (3) since it is the most common. Not only must the proper order and torque be used, there must be proper lubrication of the bolts. The manual specifies Moly grease on thethreads and under the bolt heads.Otherwise there will not be sufficient clamping pressure.. Also, check the calibration of your torque wrench (and that you are using the correct units(english or metric) scale).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.