Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

is it possible to get custom strait pipes put on an 83 1100 without having to much trouble with the carbs???
ive heard diff thing..
1- the gls works fine with no back pressure you'll be ok...
2-you will have to mess around with your carbs or you will damage the engine...
3-do the "harley sportster switch"... not loud enough from what ive heard on youtube

i know im gonna get plenty of you saying why would i want to change from stock, its just my preference, i like them a lot louder thats all. and i dont want a harley! fair enough.... :gunhead:

any info would be great,

thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

put on a set of jardines. they have a low rumble after a couple years.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

well...
the thing is i cant afford the jardines, or Macs, my friend owns a muffler shop and said he would make something up for me, so my question is.... is this possible?

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

The possibilities are only limited by your imagination and wallet . You might look for a set of Screaming Eagle mufflers some one has taken off a Harley . Perhaps that would be loud enough .

With a mufller shop at hand I would think you could tinker with straight pipes of various sizes . Perhaps even adding chrome tips from auto applications . I'd go for it , just keep an eye on the plugs for running lean the first couple weeks .

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

O.K. Here is my spin on a custom muffler that is installed on my 1100. I have had them on for a year,no crossover tube and no damage .

My nephew had a perfect set of vtx1300 exhaust system kicking around in the garage.The pipes are the same size as pipes on a goldwing[gl1100].Weld it to the exhaust manifold behind where the two tubes from exhaust merge.

Carefully remove and reposition the mounting brackets to make mufflers look normal when hung, Figure out a way to hang then from the bag brackets[I welded a tab on it and bolted the repositioned bracket to it.

Hope you saved the chrome cause you can use it to cover the mufflers and pipes.

For loud factor drill the ends of the mufflers in thecover that surrounds the center six times equal distance apart with 1/2 drill. Now you have blinge and easy loud that is not overbearing.

Sorry but pictures are on a sick computer and my camera was stolen.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I really wanted 4 into 1 high flow sport muffler. i thought that would have a nice sound. i tried sportster piepes with baffles removed and I hated them on a long trip. The sound was unbearable and headache inducing after 100 miles.

I now have stock roadking pipes and I love the grunty yet quiet soundthey produce.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

nick83gl wrote:
is it possible to get custom strait pipes put on an 83 1100 without having to much trouble with the carbs???
ive heard diff thing..
1- the gls works fine with no back pressure you'll be ok...
2-you will have to mess around with your carbs or you will damage the engine...
3-do the "harley sportster switch"... not loud enough from what ive heard on youtube

i know im gonna get plenty of you saying why would i want to change from stock, its just my preference, i like them a lot louder thats all. and i dont want a harley! fair enough.... :gunhead:

any info would be great,

thanks!
Anytime you tinker with outflow or inflow........you need to validate/verify/adjust your carb jets.

As a general rule to gain from opening up the exhaust, you need to open up the intake. No point in exhaling through a garden hose if you're inhaling through a straw. Once you do that, you should be running lean. At that point, you'll want to adjust the jets in your carb, at a bare minimum you'll want to increase the size of the main jet. A proper tunning job involves validating all three fuel circuits: pilot, main, and needle (if applicable), and is most effectively done with access to a dyno.

If you don't want to tune right........and just want to make youre bike loud.......well, that's on you. Do people just stick on pipes and get away with it? Yep......sure they do. I bet there's literally thousands of bike owners out there wondering why their bike runs hotter than others, or why their bike has discolored chrome pipes.....or worse case scenario..........why their bike seized up and quit running.

If you don't want to take the time to tune it.....I'd suggest keeping as close to OEM as you can, and definitely don't go with straight pipes.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
I really wanted 4 into 1 high flow sport muffler. i thought that would have a nice sound. i tried sportster piepes with baffles removed and I hated them on a long trip. The sound was unbearable and headache inducing after 100 miles.

I now have stock roadking pipes and I love the grunty yet quiet soundthey produce.
Any pics of your custom made pipes?

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

i used 2 and a quarter inch auto exhaust pipe welded to the the header. ran that to within a foot of my rear bumper. i then slid on and welded in place a set of 3 and 1/2 in chrome extensions. (slash cut) leaving enough space inside for a set of baffles. (trust me. you will need baffles). i made and positioned my own hangers out of a couple pieces of 1 inch flat steel, which i tack welded to the exhaust pipe and drilled a mounting hole..... About the baffles: They are canister type, straight thru!. but have a smaller exhaust outlethole than the extensions.. Dennis Kirk was the only supplier i could locate, that had baffles that would slide into the 3 and 1/2 inch chrome extensions..( 35.00 each)the tip of these extensions will slide into the open ends of the 2 and a quarter inch exhaust pipe. and take up space around the interior walls of of the chrome extensions...i have the chrome extensions protruding out the rear of thebumper by one inch either side. Really nice sound at idle!. And very aggressive sound under acceleration. But at highway speeds in overdrive i get a tolerable low rumble from this home spun arrangement. And i have not had noticable lean burn issues. P.S. you can paint the automotive exhaust (flat black) as i did.( clean the pipe with alcohol..) Be sure and leave it dry completley between coats.... coat it as thick as you can. this paint, aint cheap!. ($8.00 can) so take your time. You can find it at autozone. "knowbuddy"

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

knowbuddy wrote:
Nick, The exhaust paint i buy is called "VHT".. Not sure if it's availible to you in CANADA?. :doh:
knowbuddy,

not sure if we have that brand here, but we do have many paints that would do the job, ill check the local igloo paint shop, here in CANADA :D

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,826 Posts
imported post

What have you got to lose. Try it, if you don't like it just save the original and re-install. Then let us know how it went.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.