Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am about to do do my forks for the third time in two years and this time I want to actually do it right and put in new bushings and possibly progressive springs. I have been trying to find the bushings but have had no luck online finding any. Anyone know where I can get these or even a part number?:?:?

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
imported post

bike bandit

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
imported post

you will love the progressive springs, they will change your life!

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

This may help....

Tim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

This may help in the re-assembly...

Tim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
imported post

doing it also, when the air is out, and it leaks quite a bit, my front end drops and practically bottoms out...

i'm not clear on some springs coming out in 2 pieces and whether that's normal or not

i've also read that the progressive spring is actually shorter than the original

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Wow great help nice pics. I can't wait to get them. Found progressive spring set on amazon for $70 and did get the new bushings from western Honda since they'd had the best prices. My local stealership wanted double. Is there an easy way to add a little fork oil to hold me over till I do the fork rebuild? I have a bunch of riding buddies coming into town and I'm afraid my parts won't get here in time? I've noticed that with a mity vac you can add some but I don't own one. Is there a way to add a little so I can limp it through the weekend??

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

No need to add some oil to the forks for the weekend ride. My progressive springs came today!! I also have new bushings and obviously seals. I just opened the box and noticed that the progressive spring set only contains two springs unlike the 4 oem springs. According to the instructions I don't use the short oem springs right??? I believe the two progressives replace the four oem springs . I am trying to slide the tubes out right now and there not coming out. I have had this happen before and ruined a set of forks trying to get the tubes out. I really hope it does not happen this time! Any suggestions on getting the fork tubes out besides using brute force??

·
Honda Guru
2,086 Posts
imported post

Hi cj76…
You're right… the single Progressive spring DOES replace the dual Honda springs. While you've got the Progressive springs going in you REALLY SHOULD replace the fork oil and measure the amount. Nows the time.

About the bushings… there's an upper bushing (shown very well in the above pictures) and there's a lower bushing on each fork. It's the lower bushing that is more prone to wear. Make sure they get replaced. Clean off the old bushing and look for wear marks on the outside. It should be teflon coated… if you see any bronze color on the outside of the bushing it's worn out. Same thing goes of the upper bushing but on the INSIDE of the bushing.

To remove the forks…. brute force… and repeat several times. See the picture… the 'back up ring' just below the fork seal… sometimes it gets deformed when removing the forks and seals. It's supposed to be cupped like in the picture. If it gets badly deformed it can lock itself into the fork. Most of the time it just gets flattened out.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Finally got one apart not without some damage though. It seems the upper bushing scratched the inner walls of the Fork case when pulling apart. I will sand it out carefully . The lower pipe washer and small spring came flying out and now I don't know which way it goes back in. Have not found a post that shows fork assembly with the lower pipe spring and washer in it any links would really help me out thank you all.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

It would have been much much easier to do this with them left on the bike and much less likely to damage anything.

Tim.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.