Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I took my 82 goldwing forks apart, replaced the seals but still leaks. noticed only 1 plate not 2, all diagrams show 2. Was their any made in 82 that only had 1 backup plate?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Datainc,

I did my front seals this spring while waiting for 2 months of rain to stop.

Mine is an 82 Aspencade. Here is what you should have. The book (manuals) can be wrong at times.

Tim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Here is the orientation of the seals...

Tim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

datainc wrote:
Hey thanks guys, got my answer.
Which Was ?????

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I'm wondering rather or not that is your problem though?

You say the forks are still leaking with new seals?
That backup plate may be missing, but if the seals are in the lower tubes correctly I don't think they should be leaking. All that backup plate does is hold the seal in place under the clip right? It does not seal anything itself, just a thin spacer.

When I did my 82 forks the seals went in tight enough they ain't going to move around any with what tiny amount of friction there is rubbing on the tubes. It would be good to have all the parts in there, but I don't think the backup plate has to do with leaks.

Did you check a couple times for leaks?
The first ride on my new seals I thought I had leaks also, but things just got a bit wet looking at first, cleaned it up and never had a leak since in about 10k.

I'd check to see if the seals are in right side up or if you have any pits in the upper tubes.
The manual I have for my 82 says to put the seals in upside down, I think that's the Clymers manual. Lucky I read on this forum that the manual was WRONG or I would have done mine wrong.

I found a rough spot on one of my tubes, and a couple small pits, that's what caused the seal to go bad to begin with on mine. Was like that when I bought it, not sure why, kinda looked like teeth marks from a vice.
I filled the pits with JB weld and sanded smooth with very fine paper. That worked well for me if you happen to find any pits in yours.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

tubes are smooth, seal was installed right, without the backup plate there is no compressionon and the seal doesn't seal as well, least that's my take on it

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

datainc wrote:
tubes are smooth, seal was installed right, without the backup plate there is no compressionon and the seal doesn't seal as well, least that's my take on it
Perhaps, but to me it basically looks like the same type seal used for trannies (axle shafts and drive shafts, torq converter etc.. ) or front crank seals on cars/trucks, they don't even have anything to hold those into place, they just press in and that's it.

I think that backup plate and clip would be more for keeping the forks together than making a seal.
I could be wrong though.

It would of course be good to have all the parts in there.
If you find a set of backup plates you should be able to install them with out messing up your seals, have to take forks off triple tree and drop them down from the top after pulling dust cover and clip.

If that fixes the leaky seals please let us know.
If I'm wrong about something I like to find out about it so I'm not wrong about same thing again later LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.