Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, I have had a starting issue and many suggestions have been tried, with a few left to go.

I have just had the plugs out and still couldnt turn over the rear wheel.

Looked at the oil glass and couldnt see a level, cleaned it inside and out, still no level.

A bit of Panic set in so i got down to drain the oil (or possible lack of it) and it shot out.

Unfortunatelly i got a very strong smell of fuel and it was the consistency of water.

The bike was new to me about 6 - 8 months ago and was running when i viewed it. The only thing i have done to the bike is remove dead wiring and replace fuel lines.

All i can think of is that i caused some damage getting it in and out of the delivery van, what i dont know..

Please any help or suggestions will be welcomed, we have a charity ride in 4 weeks and we will be very dissapointed if we cant make it.

Thanks

Sean

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

If your float valves,(1 or more) are not sealing and you left the fuel **** open with a 1/2 tank or more fuel could just run out through the carbs into the cylinders and into the oil pan.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hi,

Its deffinatelly been OFF since i have owned the bike and it also shuts of fine...

Its possible the guy i brought it off had re-tried to start the bike before i picked it up, and left the tap open!!!

I cannot be sure.

If this is the case and the fuel has filled up the oil how does it get in there??

Sorry if its a silly Q but i am new to this bike

Regards

sean

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Update: Just released the oil/fuel mixture. Bike is still locked up... I am starting to fear the worst...

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Did you remove the sparkplugs and with them out try to turn over the engine??
If one or more cylinders is filled with gas it will not move .
Stand clear because it will spray out very fast .

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I had all 4 plugs out, put it in OD and the wheel was solid. 6ft and 20(ish) stone and i couldnt move it..

Whatever it is, it wont beat me now... The challenge has been set.. A bit worried though...

Just sitting here with a beer in my hand pondering (it is 10pm here)
Thanks Sean

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I would pull the belt covers and look to ensure everything is ok there. Obviously if you can not get the engine to rotate then you can not line it up properly but you should be able to get an idea. Also look inside each jug (using the spark plug hole) with a good flashlight and see what you can.

By chance did or can you measure the amount of fluid that came out of the crank case?

Also just on a chance pull the little cover off the Stator housing and ensure the stator bolt did not come loose.

6-8 months ago and running then it should not be too bad. I would give the jugs a good soak with Auto tranny fluidfor say 24 hours before starting to apply force.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

In which gear are you when trying to turn the wheel? Make sure you are in a high gear in order to overcome the gearbox.
Mike

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
imported post

A bad fuel pump diaphragm can fill your crankcase with fuel..

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

"A bad fuel pump diaphragm can fill your crankcase with fuel"..

please explain this to me..I don't see how this could happen..unless it filled the fuel pump housing then seeped up back into the head through the cam shaft pump drive end and then filled the head and then down around an open valve..and the petcock woudl have to be on and the tank at least half full..seems very unlikely??? Did I just answer my own questions???:dude:

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

RB wrote:
"A bad fuel pump diaphragm can fill your crankcase with fuel"..

please explain this to me..I don't see how this could happen..unless it filled the fuel pump housing then seeped up back into the head through the cam shaft pump drive end and then filled the head and then down around an open valve..and the petcock woudl have to be on and the tank at least half full..seems very unlikely??? Did I just answer my own questions???:dude:
Yes you mostly did:) The only exception is that a valve does not need to be open or leaking. It will run through the top of the Head oil drain back into the crankcase.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Would you please refer me in the forumsto where you've discussed your starting probs? I just don't want to repeat something already pointed out by someone else.:)

In the meantime, will the wheel move with the clutch pulled in or while it's in neutral? I was just curious if possibly your rear brake caliper has locked up on you like you've got the brakes on.

Anyway, Ihope you find your problem soon.:waving:

Hobie

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Hi Hobie, the list that i was working through is on http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/64449.html
The rear wheel turns freely in neutral and i cannot comment on if in gear with clutch pulled. I will give it a go in a little while and reply.. Am i correct in reading that it should be easy to turn over in high gear meaning 5th or overdrive?
Thanks in Advance

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Yes it should be easier to rotate the wheel in 5th than in first.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

sounds like u might also have a gummed up carb bowls and the needle seats have dirt or gummed up and wont seal and stop the gas from draining out of tank,not too familar with the 1000's and 1100 and would assume u dont have an electric fuel pump

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I have an electric fuel pump and yet have the same problem. I checked the floats and everything looked fine , but Im no carb GURU.
After my next oil change i will be sure to shut the petcock off while getting into my driveway.This should stop or slow down the leaking into the crankcase.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

First of all, I would give up trying to turn the engine over by rotating the back wheel. If you take a look at the engine, just below the pet **** on the left side, you will see a cap that takes a 17mm wrench. Take the cap off and stick a 12mm socket into the hole. It should engage on the back of the stator. Pull up on the wrench, turning it clockwise. This should turn the engine over. Don't turn it the other way or you may loosen the stator.

With the plugs out, the engine should turn over easily. If you have to wrench on it, then there is something wrong. If the timing is out, then the valves will touch the piston and will require extra force to get over TDC. Don't ask how I know this.

If the engine turns over easily and you are still getting fuel in the oil, the most probable cause is a misbehaving carb. If the float fails to shut off the flow of fuel, it will run into the cylinder, past the piston rings and into the crankcase.

I would try stuffing a strip of cloth into each cylinder and leaving it there for a while. the pull it out and see if there is evidence of fuel from one cylinder. Perhaps this will help identify the culprit carburettor.

Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Hi again, Thanks to all..

Had a Bike Mechanic (friend of a friend) have a look this evening.

It was good news, he removed the stator plug and turned over the engine with the 12mm socket as suggested. Why i couldnt turn the rear wheel like people have suggested i dont know. Ok so tomorrow night i think its time to remove the startor motor and check that out.. I am getting 12.2 v at the startor motor so i believe i have a good connection.

Hopefully the fuel in the oil was down to that amount of attempts i made to start the bike, only time will tell.

Just searched the forums and i am glad it is possible to remove starter without dropping the exhaust..

At least i have a little smile on my face again...

Thanks Sean

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.