Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1980 gl1100, i can not get any petrol through to the fual pump when the petrol tap is on normal setting, if i turn it to reserve i do get a flow and engine will run. I have drained the tank of petrol and any loose rust,no flakes of rust just a a fine brown sediment,cleaned it best i could with out removing the tank, I did notice what looked like a filter inside the bottom of the tank, i think this must be still blocking the feed. If i remove the petrol pipe from the tap,i do not get any flow ofpetrol on any setting, i would have thought you would get something flowing out with petrol tank full.I removed the tap from the tank and still no flow, so i know it is not the tap.The bike does seem sluggish, i think the pump is struggling pulling the fual through, like i say it will only run on reserve.Does any body know if i should have a flow with the petrol pipe disconnected.

thanks kevin

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Only if the fuel level is above the petcock, the petcock is above about 1/2 of the tank..so fuel has to be pumped out it doesn't drain by itself unless 3/4 or so full. There are two screens in the tank one at the reserve intake at the rear of the tank and one closer to the front..higher up too..you can see both if you look in with a flash light from the gas send port for the rear one and the gas neck for the front one..you can shoot some compressed air up from the petcock to clean debris from the screens.

·
Administrator
26,569 Posts
imported post

The screens on the ends of the pickup tubes are probably clogged, there is one on each tube. Blowing air into the openings may clear them but then there will be more sediment in the tank. That won't be a problem as long as you don't use reserve.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

can't get any flow through the tap on normal or reserve even with a full tank.Tried blowing back through the tap,no bubbles on normal setting, a few bubbles on reserve settin.I think it time for the tank to come,but not sure this would do any better.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

blow some air back into the petcock and see if that helps.... opps see that you did...

take off the petcock and see if you can feed a wire down the tube.... may also be that you are clogged at the petcock

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Drain the tank, siphon it out..so you can see the screens. Use carb cleaner from the petcock side..plug the tubes so the cleaner has to go up into the tank..then try some compressed air..You try putting a brush on a rod and try brushing the screens a bit too. But the tank may have to come out so you can clean it properly

You could try adding some water, after the tank is drained of all gas, a gallon or two and then use a shop vac to suck the water out. That might get all/most of the loose rust out..then put the gas back in..but DO NOT use shop vac to get gas out..BOOM!!!!

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
imported post

nivek24 wrote:
,no flakes of rust just a a fine brown sediment,cleaned it best i could with out removing the tank,
Kevin,
If you have brown powder, you have rust. It may not clog the carbs today or tomorrow, but it will get you eventually- probably when most inconvenient. I'd boil that tank out before I did much else.

Also, update your personal info to let us know where you are from. There may be a local member that can advise you.

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

My reserve tube was plugged up with rust powder and dirt.Had to use an old speedometer cable and carb cleaner the finally open it up. I would not try to put the cable in a drill unless you are prepared for more damage.

You might start hunting for a new fuel pump now to save yourself some time.

Welcome to the forum. Litfuse

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

With the petcock off the tank have you tried to probe the fuel pickups with a fine piece of wire?

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

With the petcock removed you can run a stiff piece of wire up the indiviual tubes. Poke around and you will get through the screen on the end of the pick up. If those are plugged up you do have rust and you will have more problems down the road. You really should remove the tank, get it cleaned out, coated if you want and reinstall it. You will be fartehr ahead.
Later Rumple

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.