Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

# 1 98 deg, # 3 117, # 2 and 4 around 320 deg. Pulled plugs 2 and 4 look to be burning correctly, 1 and 3 seem gassy and do not look burnt. ( put new plugs in). Also checked for spark and seem to be getting good spark at the plug. Am i chasing carburation, electirical, ? Did my carb sync screw up everything? HELP!!!!!!!!
jeff
81 Rebuild

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

I believe too much gas as in float set to high, can cause that problem. Also, could you have a air problem. Have you checked for vacuum leaks/air leaks? Are those intakes as tight as they can get? I have found it hard to test for "good" spark. Did you nip the end of those plug wires just to make sure they have new connection? Just some ideas for you.

·
Administrator
24,383 Posts
imported post

Way too rich or no fuel at all in those 2 cyls.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

morriscat- i am assuming you are nipping the coil end of the plug wires?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

morriscat- i am assuming you are nipping the coil end of the plug wires?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

dave- what is a good way to check both the way too rich or no fuel at all in these 2 cylinders?

·
Administrator
24,383 Posts
imported post

If it's spitting raw fuel out the exhaust and the plugs are wet it's too rich. If the plugs have a shiny coat on the porcelain it is probably not getting enough fuel to fire.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

morriscat- i will retighten the intakes and i will also check for vacum leaks. it might be something simple?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

dave- not spiitng raw fuel , I will check for the shiny shiny coat on the plugs. But if it is not getting enough fuel to fire, how would i rectify that situation? I am kind of a newbie on carbs , honestly if you cannot tell.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
imported post

Start by checking for air leaks on the week side. Nut and bolt eveything. Re sync and keep going. I used to know a guy who made his own flow bench and knew how to use it. He is the only guy that touched my kawi tripples. Keep us up to date on your progress.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

i will be going thru with a fine tooth this weekend. Nice part about having to re do an older junker is there is always something to do. When i get tired of working on the fork seals, i polish, when i get tired of that there is brakes, when i get tired of that back to the tinkering with the engine.... etc....
i will keep you posted and thanks.

·
Forum Toolmaster
459 Posts
imported post

#9 Man wrote:
# 1 98 deg, # 3 117, # 2 and 4 around 320 deg. Pulled plugs 2 and 4 look to be burning correctly, 1 and 3 seem gassy and do not look burnt. ( put new plugs in). Also checked for spark and seem to be getting good spark at the plug. Am i chasing carburation, electirical, ? Did my carb sync screw up everything? HELP!!!!!!!!
jeff
81 Rebuild
I guess the first question is " How and what method of Carb Sync did you use"??. What promped you to set them?, was the engine running that bad?. Not tyring to state you don't know what your doing it's just that the more information you feed us the better we understand what direction you need to approach!!. I believe in the "KISS method,( Keep It Simple Stupid" ). There are a lot of factors that cause a pipe to show a cold reading. Wrong heat range on a plug!, Fuel, Air, And the list goes on. Need to start from the beginning so we know how you got to where your at!!. Make since??. Just asking.

Allan:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
imported post

Well my 83 had the same problem and what We learned is that the center of the idle jets were plugged - pulled the carbs again and cleaned the jets real good - made sure the floats were set the same - put it back together and wah-lah we had it running on all four and then synced them and it was great:smiler:

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

all right- pulled the carbs and cleaned them good. What i thought was good. Spent a 3 day weekend re doing them. Put them back in and i had gas in the plenum and gas filling up the # 1 air intake and down into the cylinder. Pulled them again and found a bad needle valve on # 1 carb. Replaced needle valve , check float height again and and reinstalled. Fired it up and the leak was gone and no gas in intake or cylinder. Then i did a carb sync using motion pro merc gauges. The gauges are a little old so some of the mercury has air slugs in them so i am not sure of the sync. I think i will redo that today using just one of the good tubes and doing one carb at a time. Anyway , i noticed the different temps in the pipes just by touch so i got a digital point and shoot thermometer and these are the readings i am getting. Oh and i also installed new D8EA plugs. I also checked and cleaned the connections on the coils.
So... possible problems? # 1 Wrong plugs ? # 2 Electrical # 3 Throttle adjustment wrong? # 4- Carb Adjustment? Or ??? maybe i don't know what i am doing. That could be the overall problem. LOL !!!
jeff 81 Rebuild

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

and- i forgot - replaced timing belts and did a valve adjustment the same day. I have been doing a lot of things and maybe it is a combination of a lot of things causing a problem?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.