Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Started and ran fine when I rode it home from the place I bought it 3 weeks ago. Went for a short ride 6 days later. Started it and let it run about 10 minutes the next day. Next day tried to start it andall I got was a "click" from the selenoid.Had battery tested and it was fine, but I bought a new fully charged one anyway. Still just a click. Replaced main fuse becasue it looked old and corroded, cleaned all the batteryand selenoid connection, still just a click. I know I have a good battery.

My repair manual suggested jumping the terminals on the selenoid, which I did and the starter turned!!!!!!So, should I replace the selenoid? When I turn the ignition key everything lights up,so I am assuming the switch is ok.

It was 50 degrees in central PA and I really wanted to ride. Any ideas how to get me back on the road? Thanks in advance!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a solenoid to me. But why would that have stopped you from riding. jump the terminals ride her then think about teh solution later.
lol

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

Don't be so fast to replace before checking to see if you are getting current from your start button. Put a meter or test light on the terminal at the solenoid that is powered from the button. If you have power when you press the button, you may need a solenoid. Clean all your connections before proceeding.

John

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I Like the way you think, but unfortunately I about electrocuted my self performing this manuver! Tomorrow morning I'm calling the people I bought it from and asking if they will make it right. I know I bought it "as is" but that was with a starting system that worked! I think moving it from their show room to my garage was a tough transiftion for it. It doesn't like the cold...

Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

If it was a dealer i would fdef fight it. Not sure how much they will do if anything at all.

dont kick quit chuck. This isnt a terribly hard fix. The toughest part is fiunding someone with the solenoid main fuse housing .
The rest is just cripmp or solder the wires and your set.

You wont electrocute your self.

Touching the 2 terminals just gives a good spark and if your werre not ready for it the spark can make you jump back a bit.

Disconnect the battery and start clipping the wires.

I have pics of the correct placement so dont worry about forgetting where the colors go.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks John. Good advice. I borrowed a multi-meter from a friend last night but now I need to find another friend to show me how to use it! The owner lives an hour away. To complicated for this knuckle head. Keep you posted!

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I don't expect much but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. A motorcycle dealership is a lonely place in early February and they might like the company. Maybe they'll go for me buyingthe parts and they providing the labor. Wish me luck.Problem with that is I'd have to haul it there. Might actually be simpler to fix it myself (with a lot of help from my friend). Just so happens I'm off work this week so the timing is great.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

If you got a click, the starter button probably okay. My bet is the starter solenoid is bad. Just 'cause it clicks, doesn't mean the juice is passing one side to the other.

I found the the aftermarket solenoids are fliped backwards; fuse/connections wrong direction from Honda.Be careful when you plug it in.

The bike looks beautiful-congrats on your purchase.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

And now for the rest of the story...It was the selenoid. I tested the selenoid with a volt meter and found power on the selenoid battery terminal but not on the selenoid starter terminal. I had to drive 25 miles to get one but it was in stock (last one!) and OEM (and did I mention it was 70 degrees in south central PA?) and I just had to get it started and go for a ride! Starter motor, how sweet the sound!

Thanks to all for your support and expert advice. Keep your eyes open for my next two projects, the fuel and temp gauge and the chattering front brake caliper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.