Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

From what I can tell, oil is seeping out the screw in the center or around the outside of the neutral indicator switch. My switch still works and I'd like to re-seal it. Can anyone tell me if it is sealed by an o-ring or what? I looks like a pain to take it out as access is very limited. Suggestions appriciated.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

Isn't the neutral indicator switch located inside the front of the motor housing near the water pump? I know that when you replace the waterpump you have to be careful not to get the dogs out of synch or you'll show neutral in 2nd gear. Don't ask me how I know:cooldj:In light of this are you sure it's the neutral switch you are looking at? Because the mechanism that drives the indicator is inside the motor housing.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

hitechluddite wrote:
...are you sure it's the neutral switch you are looking at?
What orbit298 describes sounds exactly right. Also, if he has a shop manual, I'm sure he can confirm with the pictures.

And yes, even just removing the screw is a chore.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

Ok, but I don't understand how he can tell it's leaking. Granted it's been about 7 years since I changed my last waterpump on an 1100 but I can clearly remember the entire area was bathed in oil and was protected by a gasket and the front lower case cover. How can he tell the switch is leaking and where would it leak from?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

hitechluddite -

The neutral switch on the 1100 is on lower right side of the the engine case, right behind the lower frame member, visible to the naked eye. Nothing has to be dissassembled to inspect it.

Perhaps the mechanism to trip the neutral indicator must be carefully attended to when changing the waterpump, but the switch itself is not accessed from this area.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

hitechluddite wrote:
Isn't the neutral indicator switch located inside the front of the motor housing near the water pump? I know that when you replace the waterpump you have to be careful not to get the dogs out of synch or you'll show neutral in 2nd gear. Don't ask me how I know:cooldj:In light of this are you sure it's the neutral switch you are looking at? Because the mechanism that drives the indicator is inside the motor housing.

You are right, the neutral switch is inside the front engine cover, and is not visible from the outside of the engine, also it doesn't have a screw visible even when you remove it. I think orbit398is looking at his oil light switch and coonfusing it with the neutral switch.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Hitch and Alan are right, the neutral switch is inside front cover and not visible from outside the engine. All you can see at the front is the grommet that the wire goes through, no screws, just a flat grommet. I believe orbit398has a leaky oil switch and it's located on top of the engine on the rigt side and about half way back (it has a screw on top for the connecting wire), as I've shown in this picture (oil switch circled in red);

[align=center][/align]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Ted, Al & Hitch are right. What orbit398is describing is the oil switch, the neutral switch is well concealed and is bathed in oil anyway. It just shows how a simple thing can lead to the wrong information being given out!

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

I respectfully disagree! On the diagram above, number 14 is the neutral switch, and 37 is the screw that connects the wire on the exterior of the case.Number 31 is the o-ring.Look it up! My Honda shop manual has the photo of the part from the exterior. The photo matches reality on my bike.

I don't know how to reconcile my understanding of the GL1100 with Hitch et al. Are we talking about the same bike?

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

Could we be confusing the 'neutral indicator warning light sensor' with the 'gear position indicator sensor' (only available on '83 Apsencade 1100)?

orbit398 - have you fixed your problem?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.