Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start off by admitting most of my problems have been caused by me. I have a GL 1100 I let set, didn't turn off the petcock and flooded the engine with gas. Bad. It took 2 drain pans to empty it all.

I got it straightened out, cleaned and rebuilt the carbs, replaced the valve seals and valve cover gaskets because I noticed I had an oil leak on one side. After all that I still have an oil leak, but it's not from the valve cover. I really can't tell where it's coming from, but it's collecting on the back stud on the front exhaust manifold. Where would that be originating?

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
863 Posts
Left side oil leaks are most common from shifter shaft seal. Part is available for cheap, and is relatively easy to change.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Rubbers on valve cover holding bolts can leak, covers can have hairline cracks.
Other posibles, but i never seen one, camshaft seal, gasket or seal on fuel pump/drive rh side, points housing gasket/seal lh side

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its on the right side, so that takes the shifter seal out. I cleaned the bottom side of the valve cover and it's clean, but there's a steady drip of oil coming from the manifold bolts

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
Tachometer drive seal, down below and behind the fuel pump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts