Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What height do I need to cut the windshield to so I don't have any buffeting at speed. The one I have is 20". Or is there a spoiler that I can glue on to get a smoothing effect?

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

I cut my own from the Home Depot plastic department around the windows area.Use the original as a template but just make the new one a bit taller.Cost around $20 bucks or so.Cut it with a saber saw and sanded the edges.Mine is pretty tall like 25" or so.Could also go the the local windshield replacement guys.I got a sheet there once a bit more expensive than home depot.It helps when cutting to use a crayon or grease pencil on it to mark the center line and make notes right on the plastic.Take the old one with you so you can be sure the new one will be the correct thickness.I don't mind looking through the windshield although for some people its a sin.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
imported post

I like to be able to see over it just alittle in case of rain .Can not see though it in the rain.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I don't wanna look through it because it will getscratchy and milky with time. I have a new one on right now. I was wondering if anyone has cut one down to a certain height to where the buffeting stops. I 'm sure it depends on the height of the rider. I guess I'll start taking off a little at a time. I love tedius work.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Before you cut try to put some fins from old plastic bottles placed at various hights on the screen. The buffeting your getting is a vortex just behind the upper lip of the screen that just happens to be where your head is. The way the air slips up the screen needs to be broken up a bit to reduce the vortex.

It's a little basic wing aerodynamics. The air coming at your head from ahead is at one speed and the air climbing up the screen is moving a lot faster. Hence the mix or vortex is created at the lip of the screen. If you slow the speed of the air coming up the screen of break it up on its climb it will move slower and the idea is to get the two meeting at the same speed. that is little or no vortex.

The method of adjusting the height only works if your lucky enough to have a screen thats exactly bang on to send the vortex over the riders head. That means the pillion gets it smack in the kisser. Thats equals a grumpy missis.

If you like looks at some picks on google images of the BMW K100 rs. It had one of the first adjusting fins and I can vouch for the complete lack of buffeting for both me and the pillion if set right.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Cheers goldtop, I was thinking the same knowing aerodynamics myself, but I thought someone may have a measurement how far up to disturb the flow. Are you saying to spoil the air right at the top of the windscreen? Hell, I'll try anything once.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

the one on the BMW was at the top but the lip of the adjusting wing that was fixed there was just under the natural lip of the screen. It was set out from the screen about 1/4 inch and pvioted from the base.

This was probally worked out in a wind tunnel knowing BMW but us folks don't have this.

My guess looking at your pics is to start about half way up the screen height and using the same fin move it up till the desired affect is achieved.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
imported post

Bashful has something like a plastic sheild mounted to the windshield bolts on his 1500 and he says it works at 60mph.

It is about 16 inches wide and 2 - 3 inches tall and bent in the middle to form the bow of the windshield.

It's like what would be on the front of the hood on a truck.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

So bashful has it mounted down on at the base and not up high. That would be a plus cause I don't want anything in my view. Thanks Keith.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
imported post

Yes it is at the base of the windshield, I thought it was cool and am looking at doing it also.

I wonder if different heights of the shield would work.

I don't know anything about aerodynamics and am just guessing at this stuff.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Different heights would make a world of difference, and that's what I was looking for. But if I can spoil the air to keep my head from getting boxed aroulnd, no problem. I was hoping someone has tried taking off 2 inches and that took care of it. Anyway, I'll try a piece of Aluminum til I come up the ideal situatiion and I'll let all of you know. If I only had a wind tunnel. I guess I'll have to settle for miles and miles of straight roads here in Texas.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

Try a Laminar lip. I talked with them and it might be an answer your looking for;);)

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Greetings,

Unfortunately, you probably won't be able to completely cure the buffeting. The fairing causes vortices to form behind it and either you or your co-rider are going to be affected by them. If you brieflyput your hand up around the top of the windshield when you're cruising down the road you will find out that there isn't that much air being pushed over the top. Ever had a lil' bug smash you in the face that really should of been deflected by the slipstream?

Such is the life of a motorcyclist. Good luck to you.:waving:BTW here's a link to some stuff that's supposed to help but it's really REALLY expensive. Also note that they can sell you some returned product..................

http://www.saeng.com/4000.htm

Hobie

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
Greetings,

Unfortunately, you probably won't be able to completely cure the buffeting. The fairing causes vortices to form behind it and either you or your co-rider are going to be affected by them. If you brieflyput your hand up around the top of the windshield when you're cruising down the road you will find out that there isn't that much air being pushed over the top. Ever had a lil' bug smash you in the face that really should of been deflected by the slipstream?

Such is the life of a motorcyclist. Good luck to you.:waving:BTW here's a link to some stuff that's supposed to help but it's really REALLY expensive. Also note that they can sell you some returned product..................

http://www.saeng.com/4000.htm

Hobie
Met a road captain on a PGR run using this on his 1800 and he loves it, so does his passenger. The used price suits me so I may order some for a new windshield I plan to order after the 1st of the year.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

in the UK it is a legal requirement for the rider to be able to see over the top of the screen, not sure if you have the same rules, mind you a lot dont bother here, they fit the large tulsa screens, me i like to see over the screen, especiaaly when the weather turns bad

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure if this suggestion will help...but, I can tell you from experience that when I changed the windshield on my bike to a taller windshield, it helped dramatically! I am taller, so I had the problem of seeing over my windshield, and getting a lot of wind (and consequently bugs) in my face while riding, especially at night. I put a taller windshield on it, and it made a world of difference! I can actually ride now WITHOUT safety glasses (although I don't recommend it) and it deflects the wind over me enough to where I can ride comfortably! So, that's just my ideas and thoughts....I may do what the other guy suggested and see about cutting my own windshield to see if I can get away with a taller one. My only thing is this...HOW do you conform it to the fairing? I would think that if you go taller, you would need slightly thicker...and that would be harder to bend! Please advise if anyone knows. I would love to be able to mount a 25 inch windsheild on my bike!

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

I have had a Laminar Lip and a windshield vent for 18 months and no buffeting. So easy............you should also be able to see over the "shield comfortably.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.