Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello first off please excuse my english it is my second language :) I have a GL1100 Interstate. but the compression on it is down to 90psi I got a other engine that i was told was good :)

But before i put it in I would like to do some work on it. New starter pistons, Valves etc What is the most important part i should change first? What parts are mostlikey finished i was told valve guides always need replacing? water pump, Timing belts?

Any ideals as to what do do?

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

First did you do the compression test with the throttle wide open, all spark plugs out, choke off, and a fully charged battery? Also if the bike has sat for any length of time the compression will drop until it has been run for a while.

If you are doing a swap and want to freshen up the replacement it depends on how much time and money you want to spend. The order I would do is:

Timing Belts first and always.
Water pump inspect, replace if any side to side play
Valve Guide Seals,replace
valve lap job. Do not grind. Lap only
depending on year replace the Neutral switch
Pull and inspect/ clean oil screen

For a good engine I would probably stop there. Splitting the cases to do bearings and rings is seldom worth the cost.

I am sure others will have added items to check

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank you that is the information i was looking for. I did the compression check with the engine warm and all spark plugs out. Battery is new. I had a little mishap with the bix last year and the side cover was broken oil came out so this is probably why the compression is low. I was told it should be 168 to 179? i find that high but at 90 that is realy low. I know i need a new starter as well as this one grabs only 50% of time

So new rings on it is a complex job? I have only done this on 2 strock engines beffor. What am i looking at$

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Did you have the throttle wide open when you did the test? If the bike didn't run without oil the mishap shouldn't have hurt it. I would redo the compression test if they are all at 90 and the engine has set for a year or two. These readings will come up a lot.

Rings are a big job as noted above.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

The jugs on these are not removable. So the engine has to come out and the cases split. Bearings and internal parts are very expensive. Compression should be above 140. Factory spec is 171 I believe. Very Very few bikes on that road will ever see that. Most are 140-160. Some are in the 120-130 range and still running very good. Did you have the throttle wide open?? That can make a huge difference.

The starter grabbing only 50% of the time may not be the starter. The Starter Clutch may be gummed up. Try a good engine case flush and see if that improves. It may also help with your compression some.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Valve guides are dependant on mileage. mines done 135,000 and has just had new exhaust guides only. I bitch of a job. the valve stem oil seals are worth while. This will mean taking the head off any way but beware the head gaskets are steep so get it right first time. there's a little o ring seal in the head that is worth replacing as well. Your looking at two days work for heads

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.