Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there just got my GL back together, im wondering if its normal that it overheats after i shut it off. cruising is fine (barely in the blue), but if i go into a store for a couple minutes and go start it back up the temp gauge shoots up and the fan even went on earlier for a minute, at least i know the fan works. but it cools down once i get going. also its hesistant to start when warm, starts right up cold. other than that its running better than ever.

shoould i attempt to bypass fan so it'll still operate even when key is off if needed? or is it already meant to stay on when u turn off bike?

·
Administrator
27,926 Posts
It is normal for an engine to appear to heat up some after shutting it off, if the fan is cycling as it should leave it as is.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
I'm far from educated on repairs and solutions, but by any chance does your fuel gauge also shoot up when restarting your bike?

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
+2 with Dave0430. Mine does exactly the same thing. I wouldn't say its hard to start when hot. It des start easier cold. I'd say your ready to ride.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Mine stated doing that last year after riding for a while followed by a short shut off or extended idle the gauge would get closer and closer to overheating until it did over heat and blow the heat gaskets. I ended up needing a new water pump, new over flow hose, radiator cap, new thermostat, But I am thinking the water pump just slowly pumped less and less water. IMO you should rebuild the pump and replace the gaskets and o rings before you need new head gaskets.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
ya gotta remember that once you shut motor off heat will soak up into the water whereas while running it is being pumped out of engine

hard restarts usually means the starter needs to be pulled and cleaned and/or brushes replaced

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
possibly..starter did seem hesitant i was anxious the battery would die trying to get her going but just went full throttle to give her, maybe i ll swap the old starter see what happens

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya i did notice the other day the fuel gauge does jump up on start and sometimes when im at a traffic light

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.