Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi every one! New member here. Thank you very much for the site.

I have a problem: I am rebuilding my 1100, plus minus '82 year model. Not even Honda USA or Honda Japan could help me with the colour I want, which is in layman's terms a deep burgundy (definitely not just a shade of brown). In soft or very dim light it looks positively black. Could anyone please help me with a colour recipe or formulationwhich I could give to an auto paint maker. If any more info is needed please let me know.

Thanks all,

Armando, Pretoria, South Africa.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Does anybody sell House of Color or Colorite there? Maybe somebody can help me with the names. I know the VJMC guys here have gotten vintage color paint. There is a guy on Ebay that sell the paint kits for old Hondas.

I was in Pretoria about a year ago.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi Sncastetc.,

Yes, there are in fact people here who have matched the colour very well, but only under certain light conditions. However, when you go out into the sun the difference shows. If they do it in the sun, then it's wrong in the shade, and so on. I have both side covers and the "tank" for samples, but they still get it wrong. What I need is the formulation, based on whatever standards are used in that industry.

Thanks for the reply. When next in Pretoria please give me a call.

Armando.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

And the name of the color you are seeking is Candy Muse Red.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Alot of the Honda colors are three part; base silver, candy color and clear. Getting painters to do this is a big problem.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

Good Morning Armando, Very welcome to this fantastic site and i am sure almost all your questions will be answered here. Have a nice day.:waving:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hallo Johan. Thanks to you for bringing this fantastic site to my attention. Noticed people on the other side of the Atlantic (and north a bit) think "hooters" are animals. Well, for us a hooter is a horn, and a horn is something else again.

About my problem with the paint colour: I'll use the skill of the auto paint makers in town (Du Toit Street) and see what they come up with. The main problem is semantics: we don't have the same words for some things.

Be that as it may, I want to really thank everyone who gave advice on the colour. At least now I know what it's called.

Happy riding to all.

Armando.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

Hi Armando. The problem may be that the painters there are not using 3 coat system paint, they are probably just using clear over base metallic.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hi, M D Kramer, thanks, at least now I have a name for my pain. To everyone else who replied, thank you.

Armando.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
imported post

One thing I have learned from my years as a painter; an exact match is an extremely low possibility, in fact more of a chance blessing from above. So many factors can change the color, even when using the same paint from the same can. It is more art than science.

My suggestion is to have a paint shop take a picture with a color camera, which will generate the closest match according to the formulas available today. They will need the best example that you have of the color, polished and scratch free. You can then get a test chip to compare with and if that looks good, buy the paint and shoot a test panel.

I would also suggest a Sikkens, DuPont or Wanda brand, best matches for Honda colors IMHO.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

When this thread was posted I was in the same process of trying to find a match for Candy Muse Red. I found the local mad scientist of paint at the local NAPA store we tried 2 different panels off of my bike. The first time we used a side cover and the Dominator gun likes a flat surface. The next time we used one of the saddle bags and got a better reading. I just sprayed a test panel and matched it up with a few different parts on the bike and it's a very close match. The gun gives you a match for the color and rates it on a scale of 1 to 10, 1988-1989 Chrysler "Royal Cabernet Metalic" Code:pM8 was rated at 2.1.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

The paint code should be PM8I have no idea how that little thing with the tongue got there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.