Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 1100 for 16 years, and have never turned the petcock off. People warn that gas drains into engine if not turned off.
My argument is that if the floats in the carb are working and stop the flow into the bowls how does gas pass into the pots?

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Im not sure how it happens, but I can testify that it will happen. Im giving the aftermath of that exact problem on mine right now

·
Administrator
26,560 Posts
I have owned my 1100 for 16 years, and have never turned the petcock off. People warn that gas drains into engine if not turned off.
My argument is that if the floats in the carb are working and stop the flow into the bowls how does gas pass into the pots?
Just a matter of when. Someday one of the float valves will get a piece of trash in it and there it goes. They put a shut off on it for a reason.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,756 Posts
If you never turn it off, it may leak now when you do turn it off. The outer o-ring may have to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
If you never turn it off, it may leak now when you do turn it off. The outer o-ring may have to be replaced.
My 83 wing petcock leaks when I switch it to reserve.
Must of never been used there.
I always turn mine off when I shut off bike.
The 1500’s I believe had automatic shutoff’s

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Hot day … sun … pressure builds … maybe a spec of trash on a needle seat … or bad float …

1 - 6 of 6 Posts