Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have recently bought a 1981 GL1100. Every time I start it the fan comes on instantly and does not go off. I am concerned it might have been wired direct to hide an overheating problem prior to the sale.
Does any one know what would be the quickest procedure to fault find this problem.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
It may just be the fan switch is faulty. Either way you will need to check it to be sure. The switch is on top of the engine, on the thermostat housing.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
It may just be the fan switch is faulty. Either way you will need to check it to be sure. The switch is on top of the engine, on the thermostat housing.
If you disconnect the wire at the switch the fan should stop unless it is wired up directly.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
It's pretty common for people to bypass the thermal switch when it gives out as a" frugal fix"....or the switch itself could simply be stuck in the on position.

It is a pretty straightforward fix to do yourself...beyond that I would recommend you buy the Oem part...it's a bit pricier than the aftermarket units but the consensus seems to be the Honda part is worth the extra clams.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
It could even be wired direct just because a PO did not want to replace the switch or sensor. Check and see.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
If you see no extra wires coming from or to a toggle switch then I would say the fan switch is stuck on the on position..Replace with oem....You can't go wrong..I have a aftermarket switch on mine,,it's the fan on just over halfway on the gauge..I got a pigtail connector to plug it in all proper and such...Works perfectly and for years..But the best advice would be to get the oem one..Costly though...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank for the idea of a toggle.
I checked and there is a switch at the side of the seat which switches the fan on and off so the thermostat has been by passed due to failure I suspect.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,322 Posts
The fan switch may be fine. Some people like to add a manual switch if they ride parades or are stuck in stop & go a lot. So turn the manual switch off and see if the fan kicks on by itself.

Note; the fan usually doesn't come on until the gauge is nearly to the red.
And; the manual switch is simply a ground.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.