Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding my rear brake master cylinder on my 83 Aspencade.
I have it off the bike but can't get the piston out. After removing the circlip it looks to be corroded. How do I get it out without damaging it.
Thank's

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
That only works with the brake cylinder. If it's corroded, maybe you can soak it is some strong cleaner and get rid of the gunk.

Can the piston move in or out at all?

·
Registered
75 Posts
That only works with the brake cylinder. If it's corroded, maybe you can soak it is some strong cleaner and get rid of the gunk.

Can the piston move in or out at all?
yeah sorry I read the OP incorrectly..

After soaking it I used a brass dowel and hammer to push the piston into the cylinder further then.....I slammed it against against wood till the piston inertia let it come back out.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The brakes work fine, but. now it has developed a slow leak around the bottom of the piston. I need to get the new parts in there. Also it is deteriated around where the circlip goes. I would like to get one in better shape. I have been looking with no luck.
Thanks mother Honda. They make bikes that last but don't keep up with items you need to replace after a while. Mine only has 26,000 miles on it. The last 8,000 I put on since I bought it 2 years ago.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
Not a fun thing to do...

The rear master is almost not available any where...unless you find a good one on a scrap parts bike...

The one I had to rebuild was a giant PIA to get apart as well..I soaked it in Simple Green adn water for a couple of days after working it with a very small dental pick to remove as much huilt up crud as I could..
It eventually came apart -- but it was not easy..

Pererverance is your best method at this point...I do not adhere to the banging methods prescribed...if you damage it...you may be in real trouble....

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank's Carl. I just saw one on eBay. I will be watching it. Also are the 80 to 83 master cylinders all the same? My 83 has the linked brakes.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
Thank's Carl. I just saw one on eBay. I will be watching it. Also are the 80 to 83 master cylinders all the same? My 83 has the linked brakes.
.....? .... That I do not know...the '80 runs the 2 front calipers through a divider splitter channeling fluid to each side...The rear is 1 caliper for that bike ...

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Vaughn, you need one for an '83. The others are different part numbers.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank's, the one on eBay says for 80 to 83. Maybe the seller isn't up on the goldwings.
I will ask him.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Beware what sellers tell you!
MOST of them will list ANY part for a 1500 as for ALL years of the 1500, and 88 and 89 parts are NOT the same as 90-2000 for many items!

If it is an 1100 they will just list it to fit ALL years of the 1100 just because the bike is an 1100 and they either don't know parts are different on different years or just do not care!
I am pretty sure there are many differences in brake parts from 80-83 1100's so that master cylinder is probably not correct but for maybe 1 or 2 years?

I'd ask what year IT came off of, NOT just ask if it fits yours.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Half the time they don't even know what it came off of. Hopefully the seller has plenty of good pictures of the item, so you can compare to yours.

Ebay is full of sellers who have no idea what they have, and what it will fit. That's for sure.

As for brakes, only 2 years are the same, and it's '80 and '81. All others are different.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
The 83A rear master cyl is a 1 year only. Different bore and different line type.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
master

75 to 79 are the same 80 to 82 are the same in 83 they came out with rear brake also kicks in the front left brake so they are not the same on older bikes as for newer I am not sure

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.