Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Left bike at friends house with a cover on it and it rained hard for a couple days!

When I hit the starter button you could hear the starter spin then come to a stop with a light clunck. Then the next time it started fine and I shut it off 4 more times and it started fine 2 times and spun 1 time and then started fine again? So I road it medium to hard for 30 minutes to dry the motor out and it started fine 3 more times after that?

Is it possible the "Solenoid" was "Damp" and wasn't making good contact a few times and needed to be dried out or what?

Rebuilt starter is a year old? I know Jason's got an answer!

Showing my ignorance!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

All a Solenoid does is supply power to the starter. (it's a magnetic switch)When they go... they just quit working. Other possible problems, weak battery,faulty starter. Really it sounds more like a weak battery.The reason I'm thinking the battery is because you said the problem went away after you ran the bike. Which means the battery got a charge. I really don't think water played a part in it, but then again..... could have.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Corneo is right about the solenoid. If the starter turned over even slowly then the solly is fine. Another cause of spinning starter (apart from low battery) is often the clutch rollers guumed up with old oil. Change the oil to a thinner one (5w or 10w) for a few miles and see if this helps. Then drain the oil and put in 15w-40 and stick with that.
You could also try some engine flush mixed in with some cheap oil (instead of using the 15w and riding it) and let the engine run for a while, this often works faster but you have to be careful with flush as it can ruin engines if left in too long. Gummed up rollers are a common cause of spinning starters.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hey thanks guys! It might be the battery but it's only 3 months old? But it's not a good quality battery, It's one I bought quick to get somewhere that day, I'm going to buy a "Sealed Battery" !

I didn't even consider that "Gummy oil" causing it!

Thanks for that tip Jason!

You guys are why this is the best wing site on the Net !!!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Jason wrote:
Corneo is right about the solenoid. If the starter turned over even slowly then the solly is fine. Another cause of spinning starter (apart from low battery) is often the clutch rollers guumed up with old oil. Change the oil to a thinner one (5w or 10w) for a few miles and see if this helps. Then drain the oil and put in 15w-40 and stick with that.
You could also try some engine flush mixed in with some cheap oil (instead of using the 15w and riding it) and let the engine run for a while, this often works faster but you have to be careful with flush as it can ruin engines if left in too long. Gummed up rollers are a common cause of spinning starters.
Good point Jason. I've heard this before and it doess appear to be a common issue, using lighter oil seems to be the job.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Budegan wrote:
Good point Jason. I've heard this before and it doess appear to be a common issue, using lighter oil seems to be the job.
Yep, the flush &thinner oil did the trick for me as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.