Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Had a front wheel bearing put in, mechanic said ,oh, buy the way I took your speedometerhousing (down by the wheel) and cleaned it out for you !

I put the wheel on minus calipers and tried for an hour to get the speedo cable hooked up ? I would go in the housing but not far enough for the set screw to get in the groove on the plastic cable end, another 1/4 inch more but it would not go any further! Usually takes me all of 30 seconds to attach the speedo cable, untill he cleaned it? The male end in the housing, flat square blade is flush with the housing? Don't remember if it was recessed before or not ? He also said the "Snap Ring or "Cir Clip" under the speedo housing was all beat up and out of shape , so he tried to straighten it? Don't think that stops the speedo cable from going in ?

Speedo worked great untill he decided to clean it? I wonder if he bent the "Snap Ring" out of shape also ?

What's the trick to getiing the Speedo cable attached again ?!

Pulling my hair out !

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The inner cable may have dropped down a bit and is not seating fully into the speedo itself, that would prevent the bottom end of the outer cable from going all the way in. Try wiggling it around to get it to push up properly into the speedo.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
The inner cable may have dropped down a bit and is not seating fully into the speedo itself, that would prevent the bottom end of the outer cable from going all the way in. Try wiggling it around to get it to push up properly into the speedo.
Same thing happened to me with a CB750 years ago. Couldn't get the outer cable to sit into the wheel end and it took me ages before I realized the iner cable had slipped out from the speedo end. Drove me nuts. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys for the reply's !

They mecahnic cleaned the Speedo drive out thinking he did me a favor and now it squeeks when i spin the wheel so I'm trying to get one from e-bay plus I noticed the plastic end of the speedo cable is slightly chewed uo from the set screw being put in and out over the years so the screw won't grip the cable and when i spin the wheel it popsout of the Drive housing, so i'm going to get an aftermarket cable from JC Whitney's , hope it fits and works OK? Plus I need to order the "Retainer clip" that goes under the Speedo Drive Housing mine is all out of shape!

I'm going nuts all this nice weather and can't ride!

Wanted to take a "Death Valley " run before the flowers disappear that are there now?!

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
I'm going nuts all this nice weather and can't ride!

Wanted to take a "Death Valley " run before the flowers disappear that are there now?!

Why can't you ride? Just go with the flow! I have ridden MANY times without a speedo, in fact if I feel I am going to fast I slow down.. no matter what the speed limit is or what the speedo says!

:12ltd:

Marty :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I have no problem riding with out a "Speedo" , it's the noise the Speedo drive makes that's keeps me from riding !

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
I have no problem riding with out a "Speedo" , it's the noise the Speedo drive makes that's keeps me from riding !
Hey wingdawg :waving: Turn up the radio/cd/tape then you wont hear it. :whip:

:stumped: :18red: :stumped:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Ya, it use to work for the X-wife , maybe it will work for the Speedo noise !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.