Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Tonight I started to go for a quick drive...noticed that I was goin nowhere fast...or rather nowhere really slow...as in at 0 mph.

Noticed a slight squeek squeek squeek last nite...figured I would take a look at the speedo drive on friday (payday). Looks like I will be looking tomorrow instead.

I believe that I can drop the front wheel just enough to slide the axle out and pull the drive...don't think I need to remove the front fender or remove the wheel completely..as far as I know the wheel should be able to just drop free. Been a long time since I did this. cb650 days..like16 yrs ago..

I will first put the wing on the center stand, remove the cable from the speedo and spin the front wheel to ensure the cable is indeed turning...

(before dropping the wheel to expose the drive)

Question is, the speedo drive on the gl-1100...is it the same as other years and models of honda? or specific to the gl..

We have a bike boneyard here, and the guy is really reasonable...but when it comes to making a sale...I don't trust many..

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

I HAVE 82 ASPENCADE MY SPEDO DONE SAME THING.I ORDERED NEW CABLES FROM MOITION PRO.I THINK THEY WERE UNDER $25.00 THEN I TOOK CABLES APART OLD ONES.FULL OF GUNK.CLEAND WITH BRAKE CLEAN.WORK LIKE NEW.ALSO TOOK SPEDO&TAC.OFF AND PUT A COUPLE DROPS OF OIL IN THEM.WORK GOOD. NOW I HAVE BACKUP CABLES.

HOPE THIS HELPS

ALAN

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Just crawled out of the pit, will be starting in on it shortly.. Will check the cable before getting into the drive..
Thanks for the info Alan !!

It was the cable...never had one do the squeek before...figured the drive needed to be repacked with greese or somethin..

Thanks for the heads up bro !

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

The Speedo on my 81 GL1100 died a horrible shrieking death. I thought the engine had blown, or worse but the noise went away when I disconnected the cable. I tried to takethe speedoapart and fix it with no success. I ended up getting a speedo locallyfrom a 78 GL1000. I had to use a couple of nut extenders to mount it but it fit rather nicely and the color was the same as the tach.

One of the good things is that the 78 speedo has a 140 mph scale as opposed to the 85 mph scale on the 81 speedo. When I tested it against one of those speed limit signs with the radar display attached it was off by 2 mph, When the speedo read 57 the sign read 55. This was actually better than the original which was off by 7mph. All the wires for the lights plugged right up and there were two extra wires that attached to the 81 speedo that had no place on the 78 that I have no idea what they do. I taped them up and they never caused any issue.

The larger scale makes me feel like I'm going slower when I'm doing 80 to 90 mph being midway on the scale instead of all the way up, so I tend to drive a little faster.

Peter

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
imported post

If it's not the cable, and the whine is in the head unit, there is a slight chance that you can save the head by removing it, turning it upside down, and letting some lightweight oil run into it. Otherwise, it will probably do the "shrieking death" that mine and Peterbylts did. And if you replace it, try to match year. My replacement did not have the same wiring as my 82 Standard, and I now have to manually restore my turn signal.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Three possible scenarios; bad speedo, bad cable or bad gear at the wheel hub.

Cables usually break in the middle.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Yeah this is an interesting 'happening'...my auto-cancel signals stopped working...had no idea that they had input from the speedo...but that makes total sense.
I ordered a new cable from honda $14, it's being shipped from Ontario and will be here in a few days.

On the upside...my 5th gear is almost direct drive...so where the tach reads..so did the speedo..gives me a close enough idea of my speed that I wouldn't be afeerd of the law if I had to make do without.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Alright...what the F*** is goin on !!!
My neighbor just made me aware of a gas leak on my wing...the previous owner said that it weeped from the petcock..but it never has for me !!!

Now it appears to be leaking from the choke butterfly..I immediately turned the fuel off, released the presure at the filler cap and the leak stopped. I guess I will have to pull the carbs and do a rebuild eh..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.