Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Do all years of the Gl 1100 have a removable sub frame under the starter?
Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

80 through 83 are all the same .

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

Might be able to provide some tips if we knew what you are up to??

I have one in bits in my garage - so if you need pic's of bit, it could be arranged..........

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

All steel framed Goldwings, ie, all those up to the 1800 had a removeable subframe.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:There is no need to remove any thingfor removaland reinstallation ofthe starter on a GL1100 in stock configuration. The link below is from a forum thread Jan 2008 and has a lot of info for removing and reinstalling a starter on a GL1100. I replaced my starter back then and I did not have to remove anything on my '83 Interstate for the removal/installation process.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=37079&forum_id=1&jump_to=371816

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I think the only thing I removed was the shift lever. You will need a flexible connection for the wrench on the front starter bolt.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
I think the only thing I removed was the shift lever. You will need a flexible connection for the wrench on the front starter bolt.
:waving:Yup, a 1/4 drive universal and an extension for the front. The aft bolt poses no problem so an universal is not needed for this one. Like I mentioned before I didn't have to remove any thing to gain access for removal and installation of the starter on my '83 Interstate.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Taking the stater out was a snap. However, installation of the new starter was not as easy. I remember installing a starter or two before on a Gl 1000 & 1100 and it didnt seem as difficult .This time I had to removed the shifter,header, subframe and then it poped in with a wiggle .
Thanks for the tech tips.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

All out Alex wrote:
Taking the stater out was a snap. However, installation of the new starter was not as easy. I remember installing a starter or two before on a Gl 1000 & 1100 and it didnt seem as difficult .This time I had to removed the shifter,header, subframe and then it poped in with a wiggle .
Thanks for the tech tips.
:waving:Sounds like you did a lot of extra work you really didn't have to do!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 82 1100 A, the subframe has rusted through dime wide in two places 1.5 inches long. So I found one on Ebay for a 82 for $40 in great shape GL 1100. Problem is the piece has different bolt pattern??? Any thoughts?

I can get the front to match up but the rear has 1/4 difference in the holes and the collar longer?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I have a 82 1100 A, the subframe has rusted through dime wide in two places 1.5 inches long. So I found one on Ebay for a 82 for $40 in great shape GL 1100. Problem is the piece has different bolt pattern??? Any thoughts?

I can get the front to match up but the rear has 1/4 difference in the holes and the collar longer?
Welcome to the forum timbucto

The subframe on the gl1100 is the same on all models of the gl1100 from 1980-1983 (I just double checked the parts fiche all use 50114-463-000ZA) so if the one that you got sent by the fleebay seller is different than your subframe, get them to refund the money. Take pictures to include with the request.

I'll check the subframe I have that is on my parts bike later today to see if it's good.
A very common problem on these is the rust. They are a water collection point as of the open ends that allows water to flow down the inside and sits inside and starts the rust on the inside out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.