Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just purchased a 1983 Goldwing with 28,000 miles. Runs great and is a smooth ride. Problem (if it is) is that the throttle seem to be stiffer than any other bike I've owned. Is this normal? Is there an adjustment for tension? Can I use carb cleaner on the outside areas of the carbs? With the stories I had of the carbs on these machines, I don't really want to mess with them. Thanks for any help.

Billy

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

My '84 doesn't have much tension. Maybe the springs have been modified to compensate for stiff cables. Maybe you should start by lubing the cables.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Could be the cables have gotten crudded up. If you can't flush and clean them, you'll have to replace them. For what they cost, it's best to anyways.

I can't recall how to disconnect them from the carbs since I don't have the 4 carbs anymore, but disconnect them and see if the problem is in the cables or the carb body.

Hey, where's Krum anyways?

Raymond

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the suggestions. Krum is about 50 miles north of Dallas on I35. I am a big fan of Austin. I have spent several nights on Sixth street.

Thanks, Billy

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing Site in this arm of the Galaxy!:waving::waving:

If those throttle cables are original they are now old enough to vote. If you ever want them to be light and smooth it's going to take new ones!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.